WWII U.S. Visor Cap-Authentic,Type,Branch & Years Used ?

Bozko

Here's a piece I just picked-up today.It's ID'ed inside-once on the sweatband outer side & once on the inner sweatband side.This appears old,but I'm definitely far from an expert as You can get ! Anything You can tell me about it is greatly appreciated-Thanks.

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

cap4.jpg

cap5.jpg

cap6.jpg

It is an enlisted man's service hat worn from he 1930 through WWII (the mohair band like the officers hat was added then). It was worn by all branches of the Army including AAF. They went through different periods when they were issued and other times they were private purchase, this one appears to be an early private purchase. 

Too late to edit that. It should be Service Cap not hat, a cap has a bill and a hat has a brim. That is one of my pet peeves, using words interchangeably that are not, now I have done it.    

I was just wondering why this Service Cap doesn't have the knitted ribbing between the crown & bill of the cap-just the same cloth from crown down to the visor/bill ?

PS-sorry,one more thing-is there any way to more precisely date this cap.Also the lining looks rather fancy (patterned),private purchase or just standard deviation ?

10 minutes ago, Bozko said:

I was just wondering why this Service Cap doesn't have the knitted ribbing between the crown & bill of the cap-just the same cloth from crown down to the visor/bill ?

If you are talking about the braided band like this, that's because that was an officer's cap.  What you have is an enlisted cap.  

AMU8104__06.webp

On 3/17/2023 at 2:15 PM, Bozko said:

Thanks for the info 29navy.The lining still looks a little weird to me.

It's a private purchase.  The Army stopped issuing it, for the most part, by the end of 1941 (IIRC), and changed to the garrison cap.

Thanks for the help Navy.That lining looked different to me from what I suppose most regulation issue would be.

• 10 months later...
WarRelics

I just found this post while researching enlisted men’s service caps because of my father who was a WWII vet. Since his passing I’ve been wondering what happened to his service cap. It’s probably a mystery I will never solve. I have included two photos of my father wearing his service cap. I can’t date the photos but he entered service with the USAAF in October of 1942. Just making an educated guess I would say the photos are late 1942 to early 1943. He has no rank on his jacket and in the one photo of him standing I don’t see a SSI like you do in his portrait although it might be present but not visible. I have an additional early photo of him during basic training wearing an overseas cap. In his later war photos you don’t see him wearing a service cap, only an overseas/garrison cap. I have no clue as to whether he purchased his service cap or if it was issued to him. The only cap of my father’s that survived is an overseas cap with the Army Air Force braid on it. The rest of his uniforms and caps were either lost or destroyed, although somehow the service cap emblem survived among his effects. Hopefully this post will help add to the information available about these caps. Cheers.

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

WarRelics

I’m wondering if anyone has any idea who the manufacturer of this service cap I purchased is? I’m pretty sure based on other posts I’ve read that it’s from WWII but the manufacturers label has been removed at some point. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

IMG_4156.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg