2 gallon WW2 canteen

robinb

Slated for field tested in 1942 but found that the need for a large canteen was needed right away so testing was by-passed, and production was expedited so it could be used in the North African campaign. Until recently I have only seen OD painted examples, but this galvanized model showed up at my local flea market. 

bigc1.jpg

bigc2.jpg

phantomfixer

The one I found was OD, I had no idea what it was.....at the time... I read they were for desert conditions, but found their way to MG crews....either way having a galvanized one is a rare find

I have never believed the machinegun crew story. I am aware that a recreated photo was published in a book a few years ago, but that's just some reenactors depiction of how it might have been used. 

I've found several of these canteens over the years, and they have always been OD painted. 

I have never seen these before. Very interesting.  What kind of markings do they have? Do they have some kind of official designation? 
Mikie

manayunkman

I think a quantity of these were sold off at the New Cumberland Army Depot back in the 1980s.

You can find the galvanized ones in Pennsylvania.