Suggestions For Improving Display

spooderman

Hello all!
After a little while of looking through the posts here, I've established that this display is beyond inaccurate/abhorrent. Despite the embarrassment, I still would like to offer a picture of my display and open it up for further suggestions/critique. The focus is on the various infantry medical kits and an example of what they had inside them. I do plan on expanding the contents list, however original bandages, dressings and other supplies are extremely difficult to find, so progress has been slow. Thanks!

80EC793A-9A13-41B5-BF98-7A871468F592.jpg

Yeah, if it were mine, I would just throw it in the trash. You think it is " beyond inaccurate/abhorrent?" Seriously? How many collectors have a vintage IV bottle?  I think you have some wonderful items and I would encourage you to continue to work on your display. It should always be a work in progress. Some of the items you will be looking for include include a casualty tag booklet (hard to find), more bandages, and a tourniquet. I would tell you to think of your collection as a donut. Focus on what you have and not what you don't. You're off to a great start.

Allan

Brian Dentino

I have to agree with Allan here, cool display and nicely focused.  Also, as Allan pointed out I honestly can't remember EVER seeing an IV bottle/tube/needle......ever.  Very cool and focused collection and a nice looking display so far.  Remember, we all start somewhere and our collections, like a living thing, continue to morph and grow/change over time as we add and substract items.  Personally, I like what you show and would encourage you to keep on the hunt b/c before you know it it will certainly multiply.

Rakkasan187

Alan and Brian both have brought up some good points

This is a very detailed display, it is focused on a particular area and group of personnel, You can try to find a medics armband and identity card to go with your display. 

Sometimes scouring through old first aid kits at flea markets also reveal some hard-to-find items and bandages as well. You may have to buy the whole kit but it will be worth it when you find those hidden gems.

Best regards

Leigh 

Thank you guys! I wasn't sure how things would be received but I'm glad you all approve! And yes, it is an ongoing project. I am excited for my next display, as I have since gotten a few more items since this one last November. I will be sure to keep you all updated and ask any other questions I may have.

Brian Dentino

If you don't mind me asking, what drew you to this particular (and often overlooked) focus on Aid and Medical?  Career, Family?  Just curious.

Always been interested in the medical field, so when I got in the hobby I was drawn to combat medicine. 

I want to do a similar display to go along with my Navy Corpsman mannequin when I get him finished. Something in a display case showing what the average Corpsman carried with him into combat.