1970 experimental camo pattern

Philip

this is a picture from camouflage uniforms of european and natp armies 1945 to the present by j.f. borsarello:

forum90988aeq.jpg

craig_pickrall

There is a uniform displayed at the QM MUseum at Ft Lee, VA using the digital squares pattern.

Yeah- the square pattern- they first did it on vehicles, and as it was effective they tried it on uniforms.

I was told (by one of the Natick Army lab folks) that it worked pretyy well, but the troops hated it as they thought it was stupid looking.

I used to know a guy up this way with a whole bolt of cloth od it. I always tried to get some to make a uniform out of but non luck. He figure it was a " reasure worth beyond gold"

Vintage Productions has a mint set of this camouflage pattern .

It is amazing .

The shirt has the Elvis collar and is over sized !!!!

I forget what the cloth is but is feels plush ,and the general construction of this set is of the highest quality .

So they are around but in small numbers .

This pattern looks like it works and was way ahead of its time .

Much better than the current patterns being used today .,

owen

bravo_2_zero

this patten has been reintroduced by a European Army, i think some ex-soviet block place. I've seen a few sets hit ebay but in the desert colorways.

bravo_2_zero

1419.jpg

Slightly smaller squares but not far off it.

Owen Yes this was 40 years before it's time, like using DPM on D-Day !

yes, i remember seeing it somewhere. quite intersting camo but the colors were much brighter. i guess for desert regions...

edit: yes, that's it!

• 3 months later...

The US Army began trials with Digital camo in the early 80s on vehicles.

I found this photo online.

m60_lg.jpg

"The American M60A1 tank pictured above may appear to be sporting a very modern digital camouflage scheme, but it was actually photographed in 1985 in West Germany. This tank’s paint was a late refinement to an experimental program in camouflage design aborted by NATO color standardization in the 1980s.

While contemporary pixel camouflages might seem the essence of modernity, they actually originate from 1970s research. Modern digital camouflage was first introduced in the late 1990s with the Canadian Disruptive Pattern (CADPAT) and a similar design was later adopted by the United States in this decade (MARPAT by the Marines and UCP for the Army).

But the distinctive pixelated look of these schemes was almost entirely derivative of work originally pioneered by US Army Lieutenant Colonel Timothy R. O’Neill, professor of engineering psychology at the US Military Academy. O’Neil designed the Dual Texture Camouflage (Dual-Tex) system. A camo scheme that was actually adopted and put into field use in 1978 by the Army’s 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, then stationed on the West German-Czechoslovakian border."

Quite a few years back....there was a set of this that showed up at one of the OVMS Drawbridge shows. I didn't have the money to buy it. :crybaby:

The pattern shown with the squares is quite unique looking, but yet appears somewhat similar to the

USMC T-Pattern "MOUT" in a way....they should have adopted it!

I would agree on the fact that it was "ahead of it's time"....

One pattern I have always thought was ahead of it's time, was the russian KLMK.....although, not of

U.S design or manufacture....it was sure original and looks like it would work well.

Duffy

Back to the original photo of this posting, how rare are the Chocolate Chip Desert

uniforms in the Experimental stages?

I happen to have a shirt, but cannot shoot photos right now as my camera is packed away

in boxes, as we are moving in a month.

My example has the usual type labels, as found in bdu's and dcu's....

Just curious....haven't really thought about it for a long time, as it's been stashed away.

Duffy

AndyUSMC,

In regards to your note on CADPAT, in your posting....I thought I would

share what it looks like, incase others would like to see what it

is you are referring to.

MODS....I have posted this non U.S related information, only as a reference.

Duffy

post-4647-1246328426.jpg

bravo_2_zero

CADPAT

MARPAT

ACU

USN-PAT

IRAQI-PAT

It's all the same print just recolonisation, some like the ACU change the black of MARPAT to urban to make it a 3 color print.

I did a photo for someone on another forum that wanted to argue that the USMC,ACU and Navy Pat were different. I picked out 3 points of camo and lined them up to show all the same shapes.

Did you know MARPAT desert was in-fact Canadian and the USMC took it leaving the Arid CADPAT to be changed ?

bravo 2 zero,

Yes....they are similar to one another, I agree.

It appears the U.S had the design first, at least in experimental stages....as you can see with the photo of the tank that is shown in one of the previous posts above.

The Canadian army had trials back in '99 if I recall correctly, I had a set....including the boots, the USMC came out with theirs shortly afterwards, but somewhere along the line I believe that the idea was definately shared to some extent.

* I take it your an ANDY McNAB fan?

Duffy

bravo_2_zero

CADPAT-Desert-Trial-Jacket.jpg

Picture of CADPAT sporting the USMC print.

Andy McNabb :lol: Never read one of his books ever :w00t:

** I'll try to find the photo's i did of the print match, i just had to format the PC at the weekend and lost a lot of stuff **

bravo 2 zero,

I ask becuase your name was the call sign to one of the brit. operations back in the first

Gulf war....I have read one of his books on the subject and had imported a copy of the

movie, many moons ago!

So, correct me if I am wrong....but it appears then what you have there, is a copy of the Cdn

field jacket in a Generation I....but in desert marpat?

Duffy

bravo_2_zero
bravo 2 zero,

I ask becuase your name was the call sign to one of the brit. operations back in the first

Gulf war....I have read one of his books on the subject and had imported a copy of the

movie, many moons ago!

So, correct me if I am wrong....but it appears then what you have there, is a copy of the Cdn

field jacket in a Generation I....but in desert marpat?

Duffy

This isn't my jacket, i wish it was :lol:

It's from here http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm

The Canadian versions and the USMC versions are both excellent, only thing I don't care for about the

Cadpat....is the fact it can be too bright in a lot of areas.....this is why we call it "Relish Camo"!

It's great for an area which has lot's of lush vegetation....but heading into more rocky / wooded areas,

it can sure stick out like a sore thumb!

Duffy