Battle Damaged WW1 Mauser C96 Pistol found during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive by Major Earl B. Hochwalt

kanemono

This WW1 military marked C96 Mauser Pistol was brought home by Major Earl B. Hochwalt from the the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. There is a brass plate in the leather follower spring compartment that says the pistol was found by Hochwalt during the offensive. The pistol's left grip has been damaged, possibly by a bullet or piece of shrapnel. The leather is maker marked but the period stock is a unmarked commercial piece. The military stock should be military marked and it should not have the staple to attach it to a belt. The medal group and the gun were part of the George Pradarits collection. In the WW1 photo Major Hochwalt is on the right.

Earl Barlow Hochwalt was born in Ohio on January 4, 1888. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1912 and was promoted to Second Lieutenant. Hochwalt immediately transferred from the Infantry to the Coast Artillery Corps.  After several years spent mainly on the East Coast, he transferred to the 7th Field Artillery in 1917. The Division was sent to France in August of 1917. Hochwalt served as a 1st Lieutenant with Battery B, 7th Field Artillery, First Division in France until October 11, 1918, when, during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive near d'Ariental Farm, France, he was severely wounded in action. After spending two years convalescing in various hospitals he became the only member of the Class of 1912 to be retired for wounds received in action. Although he had earned two Silver Star citations and the Purple Heart, while holding the temporary rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he was returned to the rank of Major upon being retired; he again became a Lieutenant Colonel in 1930. He saw no further active service except for a brief period with the ROTC in 1941. Hochwalt died suddenly on April 20, 1956 from a condition brought about by his old wounds. Lieutenant Colonel Hochwalt’s Silver Star citation l reads as follows:

General Orders No. 73 1/2, HQ 1st Division, 25 Sept 1919. The Division Commander cites the following Officers and men for the performance of duty under the most difficult and hazardous circumstances:
Major Earl B. Hochwalt, 7th Field Artillery, "On October 6th, 1918, near d'Ariental Farm, France, voluntarily made a reconnaissance to locate advance battery positions for his regiment. Although exposed to heavy shell fire he continued his reconnaissance and was severely wounded.

General Orders No. 1, HQ 1st Division, 1 Jan 1920.
The Division Commander cites the following offices and soldiers for gallantry in action and especially meritorious services:
#14. Major Earl B. Hochwald, 7th F.A.,
#9388. Hochwald, Earl B. Maj. 7th FA.

“Officers of B Battery” (in July 1917, he was a 1st Lieutenant with Battery B, 7th F.A.), from the unit history, History of the Seventh Field Artillery (First Division, A.E.F.), World War 1917-1919.  The text does not identify the officers, however.  Hochwalt is listed at the end of this book under “Officers and Men . . . Cited . . . for Gallantry in Action”: “Hochwalt, Earl B.  Maj”.

rt-side-with-rig.jpg

gun-stock-leather.jpg

gun-right-side.jpg

pistol-left-side.jpg

brass-named-tag.jpg

numbered-grips.jpg

damaged-grip.jpg

damaged-grip-on-frame.jpg

officers-Battery-B.jpg

west-point-B.jpg

group-photo.jpg

PH-cutout.jpg

SS-named-cutout.jpg

victory-cutout.jpg

Bio.jpg

military-register-1942.jpg

ARIETAL FARM in the vicinity of EXERMONT, Argonne can be seen behind the railroad bridge , build after WW1 in order to supply the Maginot Line

ARIETAL.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. I didn't have any luck looking up d'Ariental Farm. Here is a map of the German Offensive.

Arietal-farm.jpg

The remains of this Springfield 1903 has been found in a foxhole on Hill 263, close to Arietal.

The striker unit has been removed in order to neutralize the weapon, but the magazine still contains some 30-06 rounds.

Hill 263 was taken by the 1st Engineer while  Hill 266 was taken by 91st Div units.

DSC_2910.JPG

Exceptional group and story.  I was able to walk some of that ground in September and October 2018. I'll look through the photos I took and see if any are relevant.

This is his memorial article with the West Point Association of Graduates.  It seems he was a collector, too!

Dennis

Earl B. Hochwalt  1912
Cullum No. 5104-1912 | April 20, 1956 | Died in Port Angeles, Washington
Interment not reported to WPAOG

Earl Baruiw Hochwalt was born in Ohio on January 4, 1888. He came from a family which has made distinguished contributions to the field of modern technology. It was predicted in 1910, while he was a cadet, that he would join the Coast Artillery, which he did by transferring from the Infantry immediately after graduating from the Military Academy. After several years spent mainly on our East Coast, he transferred to the Field Artillery in 1917, and by August of that year he was in France.

In the Meuse-Argonne battle on October 11, 1918, he was severely wounded, and after spending two years convalescing in various hospitals he became the only member of 1912 to be retired for wounds received in action. Although he had earned two Silver Star citations and the Purple Heart, while holding the temporary rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he was returned to the rank of Major upon being retired; he again became a Lieutenant Colonel in 1930. He saw no further active service except for a brief period with the ROTC in 1941.

After retirement Earl spent several years traveling in Europe, where he met Mary C. Peckham of New York, whom he married in December 1923. Some time thereafter they moved to Edmonds, Washington, where he resided until his death. In spite of being very crippled in his left arm as a result of his wounds, his great strength enabled him to remain an expert shot with both rifle and shotgun. So well did he teach his wife to shoot that she won innumerable trophies and became National Women’s 20 gauge Skeet Champion in 1939. Together they ranged the West Coast for years, with shotguns in the trunk of their car. They always carried a fine dog and stopped at every opportunity to gather more game, prizes and trophies. Between times they hunted in Canada and the United States, in pursuit of birds and big game.

Even as a Second Lieutenant Earl liked to barter for fine guns and cameras and other worthwhile items, and he rarely missed an opportunity to acquire a good specimen. He never lost his passion for collecting which was shared by Mary, and they accumulated a considerable number of old prints, and large amounts of antique furniture. He became a skilled craftsman and spent many hours expertly restoring old clocks and furniture. In the pursuit of their hobbies he and Mary attended many auctions and their home was filled with unusual possessions, from which he could never bear to part.

Earl died suddenly on April 20, 1956, while on a trip to the Olympic Peninsula on his beloved Puget Sound, of a condition probably brought about by his old wounds. He had made a considerable sacrifice for his country while he was still a young man, and we are happy that he was able to spend the rest of his life with a loving and congenial wife in the way that pleased him most. 

Thank you so much Dennis for the update of Major Hochwalt. Much of the information I found on him and the WW1 photograph came from the First Division Museum since his records were unfortunately destroyed in the fire at the Archives. Here is his passport information and photograph plus a later undated photograph.

passport-B.jpg

passport-A.jpg

photo.jpg

medals.jpg

SS-number-photo.jpg

2 hours ago, kanemono said:

Thank you so much Dennis for the update of Major Hochwalt. Much of the information I found on him and the WW1 photograph came from the First Division Museum since his records were unfortunately destroyed in the fire at the Archives. Here is his passport information and photograph plus a later undated photograph.

passport-B.jpg

passport-A.jpg

photo.jpg

medals.jpg

SS-number-photo.jpg

My pleasure. It would be interesting to nail down Maj Hochwalt's actual duty positions during the Meuse Argonne battle.  He is listed as a 1Lt with B Battery and later as a Maj with HQ 1st Battalion regimental history with no other details.  I would imagine he commanded B Battery at some point and possibly commanded 1st Battalion.  The Army Register, West Point Association of Graduates bio, and the 7th FA history are all unclear on this point.

I have an item in my collection pertaining to Lt William Chandler, Battery D, 7th FA who was killed in action on October 6, 1918 near Exermont which sparked my interest in the 1st Div's artillery.

1st Sgt CES
On 3/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, teufelhund said:

The remains of this Springfield 1903 has been found in a foxhole on Hill 263, close to Arietal.

The striker unit has been removed in order to neutralize the weapon, but the magazine still contains some 30-06 rounds.

Hill 263 was taken by the 1st Engineer while  Hill 266 was taken by 91st Div units.

DSC_2910.JPG

I always like dug stuff as I always wonder if the guy made it home

I hope so...

In the same fox hole, I digged up the fork of this guy, stamped for the 1st Eng &  his order number in the Cy

There were many other "Dewat" rifles  on Hill 263, mainly  German Gewher 98.

All of them received the same tratment by removing the striker unit.

PICT1002.JPG

AM54-35     Looking N.W. Into Exermont 27-9-18     302.1 - 280.6.jpg