The WW2 submarine USS Cobia

MWalsh

This is the very stern of the Cobia. I believe the big bars that are sticking out are called propeller guards, they were designed to keep the propellers from being damaged by the sub swing into something, fixed objects like pier pilings, or other craft hitting them, due to the design of subs where the props are fairly close to the surface and also more exposed than on surface ships.

The large hood looking structure is where you exit the Cobia, it's at the hatch for the aft torpedo room. It's just tp keep out the elements, and also adds structure to the ladder / steps one uses to get out.

post-440-1236645887.jpg

If I look like the cat who just swallowed the canary, that's because I was pretty tickled my buddy and I were allowed up on the bridge when the rest of the tour was out of sight! The second picture gives you a better idea of exactly where I was standing.

post-440-1236646029.jpg

post-440-1236646035.jpg

Was it still outdoors? They moved the boat to an indoor location. It looks like it is getting the attention it's due.

As far as sleepovers, I wish they would allow adults to go without having to have children. The USS New Jersey would be an awesome ship to stay overnight on, but again, you have to be with a youth group to go.....

-Ski

No, when I toured it, it was indoors like in your picture.

I think the Cobia would allow you overnight too. They call it "Family Night", but I cannot believe that if you asked, and they had open spots, that they would not allow you to stay over. Or some other night aside from the others, if you would pay a nominal amount. They are in the interest of educating the public, and part of that comes from overnight visits, and if they can bring in some funds by doing it, I bet they would work something out with you... Think creatively thumbsup.gif

MW

Nice pics, this boat is pretty well maintained. The cutting for the Fwd and Aft entry is pretty extensive but it lets you see a cut away view of what a sub is really made of. As for a cruise I would not take it past the pierheads, it would not get there anyway without an assist because the props are gone. If you can find a way to get on a sleepover it is a very nice experience, and you might be able to work with the crew who I think work on the 1st full week end of the month that is typically when the Naval Reserve is there also. They also run an engine for special occasions which should be noted on the website.

John

Forgive my ignorance, but do I see a broom up there with the periscope? Looks like one to me, but then I ain't no seadog crying.gif

During WWII it became customary for a broom to be tied to the shears of a submarine returning from a successful patrol. The fact that the Cobia made is back to where it is today is significant of it's many successful missions.

This sub is right in mine and topdcnut's backyard. I live about 4 miles from her and have been on her many times. The pictures really show her beauty but, you have to see it to really experience her.

My grandfather moved his family to Manitowoc to build these subs during the war. Had he not come here, my mom and dad would have never met and I wouldn't be posting right now. ermm.gif So, I'm sure most here can understand my special love for these subs! :love:

If any of you folks come to see the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, let me know and I'll meet you there!

Below is a picture of the U.S.S. Lagarto being launched in Manitowoc. You get a real perspective of how narrow the river channel was for launching these subs.

lagarto.jpg

During WWII it became customary for a broom to be tied to the shears of a submarine returning from a successful patrol. The fact that the Cobia made is back to where it is today is significant of it's many successful missions.

This sub is right in mine and topdcnut's backyard. I live about 4 miles from her and have been on her many times. The pictures really show her beauty but, you have to see it to really experience her.

My grandfather moved his family to Manitowoc to build these subs during the war. Had he not come here, my mom and dad would have never met and I wouldn't be posting right now. ermm.gif So, I'm sure most here can understand my special love for these subs! :love:

If any of you folks come to see the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, let me know and I'll meet you there!

Below is a picture of the U.S.S. Lagarto being launched in Manitowoc. You get a real perspective of how narrow the river channel was for launching these subs.

You lucky devil, living that close to the Cobia!! I think if I lived that close I would be there asking them for a rack / bunk assignment and a locker to store my gear in so I could stay there all the time w00t.gif

I have a question for you... can you go there and ask whomever is in charge of the Cobia to "scrub" their wants list, see what on it they still do and do not need, and even more importantly, do they have any pictures of the items on their "wish list"? I have a couple things which are on theri list and they may need, but I am not sure what I have and have access to are the correct make / model, year, so pics would help 100%. In addition, I am willing to always keep my eyes open for other things on their list, abd to ask around, but again, I need to know exactly what I am looking for. "Battle lamp" doesn't do much good, there are different types and I have no idea what a WW2 one looks like compared to a Korean or Vietnam are one, etc etc etc. Any chance I could persuade you to help??

Also, my understanding on the broom was in fact that the patrol they were returning from was a "clean sweep", in that all targets targeted were hit, and not that it was just used to denote a return.

One last thing... how is the rest of the museum, I never got to go inside of any of it aside from the gift shop, the Cobia exhibit by the giftshop, and then the sub itself.

MW

By the way, that's an awesome family tie to the Cobia and all the other Manitowoc boats!!! Man, what a proud and great part of history to have your family heritage be tied to !

By the way, that's an awesome family tie to the Cobia and all the other Manitowoc boats!!! Man, what a proud and great part of history to have your family heritage be tied to !

Great shot! My mom went to Washington High in Manitowoc and lived on a farm in Two Rivers. Her family, the Schmitt's, owned a series of paper mills around the area and as mentioned earlier, my grandfather was an architect at the shipyard.....

-Ski

Great shot! My mom went to Washington High in Manitowoc and lived on a farm in Two Rivers. Her family, the Schmitt's, owned a series of paper mills around the area and as mentioned earlier, my grandfather was an architect at the shipyard.....

-Ski

If your mom went to Washington High then she went to high school in Two Rivers. Manitowoc's high school is Lincoln High. Manitowoc Shipbuilding no longer exists as a ship building entity but, has transformed itself into the largest producer of lift cranes in the world. The rail road lift bridge that you see in many of the sub launches is still there as are many of the old building used during the war. A wind power company now resides in the old facility. Manitowoc Company has moved to the South Side of Manitowoc. Below is one of the smaller cranes they build there.

m_888.jpg

You lucky devil, living that close to the Cobia!! I think if I lived that close I would be there asking them for a rack / bunk assignment and a locker to store my gear in so I could stay there all the time w00t.gif

I have a question for you... can you go there and ask whomever is in charge of the Cobia to "scrub" their wants list, see what on it they still do and do not need, and even more importantly, do they have any pictures of the items on their "wish list"? I have a couple things which are on theri list and they may need, but I am not sure what I have and have access to are the correct make / model, year, so pics would help 100%. In addition, I am willing to always keep my eyes open for other things on their list, abd to ask around, but again, I need to know exactly what I am looking for. "Battle lamp" doesn't do much good, there are different types and I have no idea what a WW2 one looks like compared to a Korean or Vietnam are one, etc etc etc. Any chance I could persuade you to help??

Also, my understanding on the broom was in fact that the patrol they were returning from was a "clean sweep", in that all targets targeted were hit, and not that it was just used to denote a return.

One last thing... how is the rest of the museum, I never got to go inside of any of it aside from the gift shop, the Cobia exhibit by the giftshop, and then the sub itself.

MW

PM me and I'll see what I can find out. Our local group of collectors has done some displays there in the community room. You really need to make a return visit if you didn't see the rest of the museum. The museum is not all military but, it is extremely interesting dealing with great lakes shipping, commercial fishing, boating, shipwrecks, etc., you will not be bored. Also, you may want to PM forum member, John (topdcnut), he's an ex-swabby and may be able to help you more than me. I also believe he is active with the museum. I'm infantry... asking an infantry guy nautical questions may get you into trouble. :lol:

One of our forum members ( Tom Lane ) has Huston's Purple Heart in his collection. See it on his webpage at:

http://www.purplehearts.net/id7.html

Now that is spectacular! Thanks for the link! For the lazy ones on the forum who don't like hyper links, here's the pictures and story:

RALPH C. HUSTON, JR.

S1c Huston served aboard the USS Cobia, SS-245. On 26 February 1945 the Cobia was involved in a surface action against Japanese sea trucks. During the action the submarine was strafed by Japanese machine gun fire, killing Seaman Huston, who was manning a .50 cal. machine gun. S1c Huston was buried at sea the following day.

Huston was from Parkersburg, WV.

huston_ph01.jpg

Not to detract from S1cl Huston the last several posts were fantastic, but on your way in or out of manitowoc you can see a restored 1941 Manitowoc Speedcrane in front of the Manitowoc Cranes facility off of Dewey St. Unfortunatly they painted it Red and not OD.

John

For our non-Manitowac members, there is a small display regarding Huston, in the indoor part of the museum which deals with the Cobia. They have a small display of his personal effects sent home after his death, his uniform, & pictures of his burial at sea, etc. It's a sad display.

MW

For our non-Manitowac members, there is a small display regarding Huston, in the indoor part of the museum which deals with the Cobia. They have a small display of his personal effects sent home after his death, his uniform, & pictures of his burial at sea, etc. It's a sad display.

MW

Indeed, it is a very sad display. But,it also brings home a strong message of sacrifice.

• 5 months later...

thanks for posting the photos love them..

my dad and his brothers all navy or marine corp ..uncle harry was a bit of a nut at times for he his bathroom toliet set up was like a submarine toliet for he spent 20.years in the navy on subs ..and when i got his place afte he died he left me a 4 paper letter on how to work the toliet and how it would and want would happen if i did not following to the letter with a pictue of a person of one the subs covered in ----- and it was taped to the rear page of the letter to let me know how to follow the steps to the letter when flushing the toliet ..

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for posting the photos love them..

my dad and his brothers all navy or marine corp ..uncle harry was a bit of a nut at times for he his bathroom toliet set up was like a submarine toliet for he spent 20.years in the navy on subs ..and when i got his place afte he died he left me a 4 paper letter on how to work the toliet and how it would and want would happen if i did not following to the letter with a pictue of a person of one the subs covered in ----- and it was taped to the rear page of the letter to let me know how to follow the steps to the letter when flushing the toliet ..

Hah! That's a great story - and a great memory for you probably too!

I want to say that on a WW2 sub it was actually a 13 step process... I just read a book about the S-39, a pre-WW2 sub - a "pigboat", and it noted how one sailor was always assigned as the toliet "king", responsible for making sure it was functioning, kept up, flushed properly, etc, and how that lowly seaman in charge of the toliet had the power of the Captain in his ability to berate and deal with any member of the crew who screwed up the toilet process and made a literal mess of the processm, and thereby made a mess of the heads too!

MW

• 1 month later...
let just say i learned real quick how to follow the list to the letter ..and never did have any problems with the toliet set system

Having spent several years in the old boats I would like to thank you for the pics, great job. We worked hard and played hard, The things we did would get you tossed out now days but in the 60's it was all good. I still attend our reunions every year and the stories get deeper and longer each year, Thanks, Stretch

• 6 years later...