Can you apply rubber conditioner to gas mask

jay556

Can a rubber conditioner work to restore a  gas mask that has been semi aged ?  the gas mask is butyl rubber. OM-90 Czech model

On 3/7/2023 at 1:03 AM, jay556 said:

Can a rubber conditioner work to restore a  gas mask that has been semi aged ?  the gas mask is butyl rubber. OM-90 Czech model

Once rubber has started to break down, there is not much you can do to reverse the deterioration....Keep it out of the sun in a cool place and enjoy it for what it is....Bodes

Ok Thanks. So applying the rubber conditioner means it's going to break down, Is that what you mean?

7 hours ago, jay556 said:

Ok Thanks. So applying the rubber conditioner means it's going to break down, Is that what you mean?

Preventing an article from deteriorating is the key...Most companies selling such substances will tell you their product will only work on items that are in good condition but will not reverse the damage caused by age and the lack of care....Bodes

Jay, Welcome to the forum. It is customary to introduce yourself when entering a new group. You can do that in the New Members area.

Then you might start a thread with pics of your item.

FYI, there are several threads with a similar question. Search "rubber treatment".

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I compared the OM-90 mask to the cm 7m mask which is the same gas mask.  The cm 7m is newer ( maybe 3 years old ) than the OM- 90 in the video, but not much of a  difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 11:31 PM, JAYDOG said:

Just incase anyone wants to have a take on this Gas Mask. 

Any one?

On 3/7/2023 at 1:03 AM, jay556 said:

Perhaps moving this question to the Preservation thread will generate additional responses. Gas masks are a continuing problem and concern in the institutions that hold them. Maintaining consistent museum safe temperature and humidity will help. One suggested standard is between 59-77 degrees F, and 45-55 per cent RH. I don't believe there is any type of substance or conditioner that will restore plastic or rubber.

Okay not sure how to move this post but I'll figure it out. If you watched the YouTube video you'll see the that the respirator is in good condition. All in all I probably shouldn't have applied the conditioner but most likely didn't even need it.