My neighbor Bruce's Nam bring back MAS-36 Rifle

WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945

For years I have driven by my neighbors house and saw his flying flags: The three flags were the American Flag, Don't Tread On Me Flag and lastly the Nam 1st Calvary Flag. I stopped by a few days ago and ended up talking for him for close to an hour. While listening to his Nam war stories, I asked if he brought home a war trophy? He said he brought home a French rifle and I should stop by in a few days to check it out. Well, I stopped by this afternoon and him and his son were sitting outside. He said he didn't know where it was and to come by in another few days. His son said I know exactly where it is and came back in a few minutes carrying a rifle in a cheap black case. I was surprised to see it still had the TWA Airlines tag still attached to it! I was drooling when I pulled it out of the bag. Bruce's rifle will be in my book. Here is a small section of his story: "I spent time in Vietnam and got a war trophy. I think it’s a 1930’s French made weapon. I’ve had it but haven’t looked at it for 15 years. The rifle is still in the bag I brought it home in! The TWA airlines tag is still attached! The gun was lying next to a dead soldier and I just picked it up. In our group, the first Air Calvary, we told our men, you don’t go stabbing people cutting their tongues out. This is a war – its horrible. Don’t degrade yourself or the military by doing stuff like that. I don’t recall if filled out any official paperwork to bring the rifle home. It may be somewhere around the house. I was just glad to be going home."

IMG_2544.jpg.72e00c8b4bce28f822233b8c9d8ba65a.jpgRifle1.png.f81be4d82ab6a9723fd8173e27f5d3ec.pngRifle2.png.37600afeb09ae5966b55296847ddde55.pngRifle3.png.faafe4e4334bbf477cdfae86a1912fcb.pngRifle4.png.9983af668872258b9c23588aab94929a.pngrifle5.png.5f519ea0a87388116bafe349f0edcc62.pngTag.png.9102c5fd17bc757397fa83a9abccca50.png

USCapturephotos

I love seeing this and the pics of the veteran holding his souvenir are fabulous. Glad that you stopped to speak with him.

Paul

WWIIBuff1945

Thanks Paul. Bruce is such a nice man. I could sit all day and listen to his stories! BTW The book has been done and I finally decided on the printing company. I had an issue when I tried to upload my files and it took a week for the company to get back to me with a solution to my problem. In the meanwhile while waiting, I purchased and added an SKS and Bruce's MAS-36 to the book. I will try to upload the files again this week and if it all goes well, I should have the books in hand in a couple of weeks.

iron bender

Just looking it appears this rifle came back to the US in this condition. I'd bet this was left exposed in a pile outdoors for years before it was reused. (French capture from the early 50's?) Crazy! I feel bad for the grunt that got issued this rifle.

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of these from a good friend. His brother was a vietnam vet and my buddy obtained this and a number of other guns after he passed away. No capture papers and no documentation he brought it back. there is no import marks and it has that "look". 

Great to this and of the Vet holding it!