US Officer Rank Insignia made by German maker F.W. Assmann post WWII

triplecanopy

triplecanopy

After WWII the German Insignia maker F.W. Assmann & Sohne switched from manufacturing badges and medals for the defeated Third Reich to making US Rank and other badges & Insignia for the occupation forces. Assmann made numerous badges, distinctive unit insignia and rank (officer and enlisted) for the US Army and all were marked with a stylized letter "A" with an extended cross bar. Usually there was also a die(?) or inventory number as shown below. For example, The Bird Colonel eagle is marked with A 107. The Colonel eagles were both marked A 107 even though a different die had to have been used.  That makes me believe that the number was for inventory control (Item number). These Assmann made rank insignia can be found in both pinback and clutch back styles. The markings start with A 102 for both 2nd Lt and 1st Lt, A 104 for Captain, A 106 for Major and Lieutenant Colonel and A 107 for both right and left facing Colonel eagles. It appears that the 2nd Lt and Major rank insignia were plated to create 1st Lt and Lt Col insignia. I have not as yet found any marked A 103 or A 105. These are interesting US Rank variations that are not often seen and not mentioned under this topic before as far as I know.

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

• 4 weeks later...