Thread popped loose on ribbon?

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

I picked up a medal at SOS. When purchased everything was fine and dandy but when I got home I noticed the two holes of the brooch that were sewn to the ribbon popped loose. Most likely they were weak threads that came loose traveling back home. Any thoughts on repairing this, should I look into sewing it or see about buying a new ribbon suspension? Thoughts?

2F848737-DE2C-4D87-A98C-5C74B10B7E04.jpeg

How does the ribbon itself look? Did the thread simply break or did it rip the drape, too? If the drape is intact, I'd just re sew it! 

I would tell you to get some old, white cotton thread and a small sharps needle and put a couple of stitches in it. It is easy to do. The secret is to not put too many loops of thread into it or they will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you are nervous about doing this, send me a PM.

Allan

tdogchristy90

Thank you Allen, Elizabeth the Ribbon is fine. Again, when I bought it everything was fine and dandy. All I can surmise is that the threads tying the ribbon to the holes on the brooch simply popped loose while traveling back home. 

Allen, as a follow up, when you say old white cotton thread, are we talking old like NOS or the traditional cotton thread from a craft store? I know some of the modern spool stuff you have to be careful of, make sure you’re buying traditional cotton thread. 

29 minutes ago, tdogchristy90 said:

Thank you Allen, Elizabeth the Ribbon is fine. Again, when I bought it everything was fine and dandy. All I can surmise is that the threads tying the ribbon to the holes on the brooch simply popped loose while traveling back home. 

Allen, as a follow up, when you say old white cotton thread, are we talking old like NOS or the traditional cotton thread from a craft store? I know some of the modern spool stuff you have to be careful of, make sure you’re buying traditional cotton thread. 

I would tell you to avoid the craft store thread and find some old thread at an antique store or in grandma's sewing basket. get cotton thread, not polyester. 

Allan

Cotton thread isn't too difficult to find - even at local fabric stores. I would bet that a quilting store would have a nice selection. I almost never buy synthetic threads, though some of my recent upholstery jobs benefited from poly. Thread that thin would be a cinch to find.

I would gladly repair it for you but I have never repaired one or really researched the number of stitches, etc. of original medals.

Let me know if you find it too much of a pain.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
tdogchristy90

Does anyone know what thread, cotton or silk, was used? I know the ribbon itself is Silk, but what material is the stitching that holds the brooch holes to the ribbon? 

• 2 weeks later...