Parachute qualification badge maker?

rustywings

Hey Gents, I’d like to direct this question towards you experienced Airborne collectors in the know...

Being much more a USAAF Flight Crew badge collector, than a Airborne collector, I’ve always viewed badges depicting a modestly arched “STERLING” mark as being associated with wings made by the Blackinton Co. for a Luxenberg contract order.

With that said, is there a snowball’s chance this recently acquired jump wing, with its slightly arched “STERLING” mark, was produced by Blackinton for Luxenberg?

Very similar in style and arch dimensions, however the known Luxenberg examples I’ve handled have all had incised “STERLING” marks and the mark on this Airborne badge is instead raised.

Any input or info on these arched “STERLING” marks and who specifically produced them is much appreciated!

DB1316B2-82E4-4698-89C4-238E146F759C.jpeg

F51F7F9A-C53E-47D3-8F78-AA407E20C48B.jpeg

Here’s a few Blackinton-made Luxenburg hallmarked flight badge examples with those similar arched “STERLING” marks for comparison.

2F0E71D9-A664-4933-8B5E-7CEF952A7C90.jpeg

The "Arched Sterling" marked variety of jump wings has been a puzzle for me also. As far as this collector knows the maker has yet to be identified. The fact that Blackinton also used this mark raises an interesting possibility. Below are the examples I have with the arched sterling markings. You can see that both pinback and clutch back types are represented. The marks on the pinbacks are raised while those on the clutchbacks are incised or stamped. The arched sterling mark has also appeared on other insignia as well such as the CIB shown below.

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

Arched Sterling.jpg

Thank you TripleCanopy for your shared knowledge and the additional arched “STERLING” examples.

Your incised examples certainly compare favorably to the arched STERLING stamps found on those  Luxenberg hallmarked Pilot and Bombardier wings!

I searched my collection, as well as several aerial badge internet sites and can say that so far, every wing located with an incised arched sterling stamp is directly attributed to VH Blackinton Co, or through a Blackinton subcontract such as Luxenberg or Bond. 

From likely the same die, here’s a “Sterling By Blackinton” hallmarked Observer badge and a Luxenberg hallmarked Observer Badge with an arched sterling stamp.

058A4B13-4BFA-48DC-BA32-C55CC76614FC.jpeg

3FE9A2EA-1384-4322-A3B0-0EDFBFD9DD17.jpeg

A “Sterling By Blackinton” hallmarked Pilot badge and the same die-strike on a “Bond” hallmarked Pilot badge with arched sterling stamp and known to be produced by Blackinton.

FD0D0604-56ED-40D0-AAFE-D1E21B1AACA4.jpeg

B591E971-5065-4B3E-A653-3147B5ABB215.jpeg

And one more comparison of two near identical Blackinton-made Senior Pilot badges, except one has a Luxenberg-Sterling hallmark, while the other only possess an arched sterling stamp.

So far as aerial badges go, I’ve yet to find an arched sterling mark on anything but Blackinton produced wings. Does that same limitation also apply to parachute qualification badges as well?

83264B41-E873-4912-A1E3-2687EE8139B0.jpeg

A80B0DF9-12B8-4982-A6F6-5DAE3A362D9D.jpeg

Like Triplecanopy’s Combat Infantry Badge posted above, I wonder if the VH Blackinton Co was also responsible for producing these Combat Medic Badges with raised arched sterling mark? 

592321DA-70DD-418A-92F6-7A9D7E1652C4.jpeg

70E5E0A7-544A-4065-918E-FB5DB5AA365A.jpeg

Rustywings has certainly offered an interesting possibility about Blackinton Insignia. I personally never thought much about Blackinton since the name was mostly associated with older flight wings so I really never associated the name with anything else. In doing a little research, I find that Blackinton made military insignia and police badges for many years. They had IOH approved hallmarks of VHB and B24. Since the 'arched sterling' mark probably predates the 1960's it is certainly possible that Blackinton used it. I checked the internet and find that V.H. Blackinton is still in business and is located in Attleboro Falls, Massachusetts. https://www2.blackinton.com/company/blackinton-history/

So we know that they made wings and other military insignia but, can we prove that the 'arched sterling' mark on wings and badges is enough evidence to say positively that Blackinton made them? It is certainly a strong possibility. What say you other collectors?

I have never come across a paratrooper wing hallmarked Blackinton however they must have produced them during and after WW2 because they produced just about everything else.  They did produce a WW2 era unauthorized USN rigger wing which was adopted later by some former members of the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion.   I found one once on a factory produced card printed with "V. H. Blackinton & Co. Sterling".  However these wings were not hallmarked Blackinton but in two lines "1/20 GF ON" then just below it "STERLING".  The raised STERLING hallmark was straight across and not arched.  Since Blackinton produced one of the WW2 era Paramarine wing designs they must have produced the more prolific Army basic paratrooper wing designs during the war and possibly after the war.  So Rustywings may be correct that these sterling arched hallmarked pin back paratrooper wings were the ones produced by Blackinton.  What we need to find is one on a factory card printed by Blackinton to be sure,  

I have some Blackinton-made civilian pilot wing badges that do not have the STERLING mark in the arc.  There is no way to know for sure, maybe during the war, Blackinton didn't hallmark their wings?  While both officers and enlisted men wore jump wings, its likely that the VAST majority of these badges (as with the CIB, etc) were made by a Government contract for Government Issue (most of which would have went to EM).  Typically, those contracts stipulated that only the metal content (STERLING) was to be added.  Some companies probably didn't follow those instructions carefully, as you do see GI insignia with company hallmarks (I suspect no one really took that too seriously). But a big company like Blackinton, maybe they just supplied insignia as the Government wanted, sans their company hallmark?

I guess what I am saying in my  usually pedantic way is that its possible, but how will we ever know for sure. Its not like a STERLING hallmark in an arc is THAT distinquishing.  But my guess would also be that I cannot imagine Blackinton NOT making those badges they made everything else.

To paraphrase Kramer from Seinfield... "Why don't you just TELL me what to think!"  LOL

The only suggestion that I might make is that someone contact the company directly and ask them if they ever made Army Parachute badges/wings and if so how were they marked. Perhaps some one in the company's long history can dig out the records...

1 hour ago, triplecanopy said:

The only suggestion that I might make is that someone contact the company directly and ask them if they ever made Army Parachute badges/wings and if so how were they marked. Perhaps some one in the company's long history can dig out the records...

Yes, I’ll follow up and try and make contact with the “Blackinton Company” folks as time permits. FTF...

I struck-out with my effort to contact an informed source at Blackinton’s this morning via a phone call. So I sent them an email.  I’ll let y’all know if/when I receive a reply...

• 5 months later...

Several follow-up telephone calls over the past months and a lengthy email to the current Blackinton Office Staff has failed to uncover any fresh information.  I’m rather certain I’m now on their “Irritating, Persistent Caller List!”