MOTORCYCLE ID Help (Father) 1946 or so

GAZOO

Been trying to figure out the make and model of His Bike. Best Guess is this was taken just after the War 1946 or so,
He was an MP before getting busted (This may have happened more than once) Honorable discharge after 9 years as
a private :) So ?
  BTW he did tell me a Very Colorful story about getting kicked out of the MPs but Dad never let the TRUTH get in the
way of a good story so again ???

OK

Back to the question He said he owed an Indian (amongst others) with a Suicide Side shift (his words).
Looking at the 3 Front FORKS in this photo I am not sure what to think ?

Thanks in advance

dad.jpg.41ed91b9e33396879216f0d359135701.jpg

Looking closer at your photo. This is an early model with an I-beam front end. What looks to be a third leg is the back part of the beam. Or it might be the front brake cable housing.

A suicide shift is a clutch pedal that is like a car, lift off and you go. He may be referring to the shifter toward the rear instead of up by the front of the tank. 

Salvage Sailor

He probably meant a "suicide clutch"

The 'Suicide' reference really belongs to the clutch mechanism, not the gear change. On a bike with a 'Suicide' clutch you are not able to stop and put both feet down whilst still in gear. In order to de-clutch the Left foot must be firmly holding the Clutch pedal down.  Clutch pedal movement was determined by foot position. If the rider slid his foot off the clutch pedal while it was in the disengaged position it would stay disengaged

53 minutes ago, 72psb said:

Harley Davidson "WLA"  45 ci/ 3speed gear box/ flathead engine.

Edit I was just replying but see its been mentioned above
Thanks again

14 minutes ago, Salvage Sailor said:

He probably meant a "suicide clutch"

The 'Suicide' reference really belongs to the clutch mechanism, not the gear change. On a bike with a 'Suicide' clutch you are not able to stop and put both feet down whilst still in gear. In order to de-clutch the Left foot must be firmly holding the Clutch pedal down.  Clutch pedal movement was determined by foot position. If the rider slid his foot off the clutch pedal while it was in the disengaged position it would stay disengaged

Actually thats probably what he really said and i remembered it wrong :) Sounds better now that I hear it again

BTW here he is at work and at play :)dad2.jpg.a27ef155b3cdbcf948a88061ee5754ad.jpg

• 11 months later...