M42 jump jacket

HunterB

Hello I have a question regarding a jump jacket. The jacket is in relatively good serviceable shape other then this relatively large rip in the right arm towards are bottom of the sleeve and was wondering if it would be right call to very carefully sew it up with period thread to prevent it from coming apart any further or would I be fine to leave it be? I would usually leave something like this go as it’s apart of the history of the jacket but since the snap closures are towards this area  it weights down this spot quite a bit. Looking for inputs on what the best call on what to do here is thanks. 

A8B6AED2-0587-4D36-95FD-9F1132063699.jpeg

EED1779E-64A4-4D4E-BB38-E42DBA15D3D9.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

Leave it as is. It's a jacket that would look great as a combat display.  Remember that even with period thread it would still be a WW2 item with sewing applied in 2023.

I would leave it be.

I can almost hear the vet saying; "and then that kraut nearly got me as I jumped over the fence, but my jacket sleeve got caught on my carbine and squeezed off a shot, I tore my jacket, but it saved the company that day...."

Thank you everyone for your input. I will leave it be for now, I’ll have to find a solution to maybe hold up the sleeve so that the weight of gravity doesn’t continue to strain the already fragile area. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Just to weigh in here...

One thing you could look at is using a "patch" to support the weight.  I am not expert enough to do this but I have seen it done up close in the museum field.  
If a garment going on display has a condition issue (such as yours) that may cause further damage, conservators will often times sew a "patch" behind the damaged area using inert material that is meant to blend in but is obvious that it is not part of the original garment.  The "patch" is carefully sewn in behind the damaged area (so yours would be done inside the sleeve) so as not to damage the garment further and is done in a way that it can be removed once the item comes off exhibit.  It is NOT meant to "close" the exisiting hole but to simply give support around the damamged area so the weight of being on display is evenly distributed thus preventing the hole from enlarging.  As for the stitching, it is fairly limited so as to do its job but to not add extra "holes" to the garment.  The patch is also large enough to support the weight.  One conservator I watched, used existing seams to hide the new stitching for the "patch."  

Just my two cents.
Steve

manayunkman

It could be that the jacket was torn after the war.

In Pennsylvania hunters used M42 jackets.