American in RCAF, WWII or simply DAF?

ViperChief

All,

I just purchased this uniform off of EBay today, and am super thrilled! Now for the research, and I was thinking you all might be able to help!

I see prior enlisted service in the USA/USAAF, and of course post-DAF service in the AAF. I wonder, based on the Canadian wings and decorations, had this Officer flown in the Canadian service? The bullion seems Italian to me, and a partially legible ID of “R.——“ is present, dated 06 Oct 1942. The combat patch of DAF is significant, plus his decorations. 

Could anyone help me decipher if these Canadian decs were awarded to Americans in the DAF? If not, how could I find who crossed? I’ll posh elsewhere in the forum to broaden this. Any help would be appreciated!

Nick

75D1D6C4-1AC2-4242-998F-9EED0BC2EC67.jpeg

03D401EC-4702-4CD6-8DC0-4FB95EF9CDE9.jpeg

846B1962-6C44-4413-A7C4-C3F28E305230.jpeg

448CF09B-3BCC-4237-9023-7BC8B5CCB907.jpeg

0B072EA0-DF2C-4B8A-B685-8F1280B2B08A.jpeg

7E2DAE0B-707D-4406-8854-2EB8C175DB50.jpeg

A3D9D690-0DAC-4EDA-A40B-53AA496FF3EE.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest,  I'm not a fan of the bullion wings.  They're a huge flag for me, as is the GCM ribbon.  Look at the toning of the Lt Col rank, and then compare it against that of the wings - they look like they were made yesterday. I think the uniform was assembled from parts, some of which are real WW2 and others not so much. 

These types of uniforms are quite rare - how many Americans crossed the border to fly with the Canadians in 1940-41?  Not many.  Without provenance I would not be adding something like this to my collection.  Though to Allan's point, if you are happy with it as representative thats all that really matters. 

You should mention that the DAF patch is actually one that was made for collectors. The ribbons are another huge issue, but Austin mentioned the GC, but there are other red flags.

Allan

5 hours ago, Dave said:

I think we beat this one up pretty well on facebook. 

I don't follow USMF on FB, so good to hear it got feedback there - hopefully scholarly feedback.