Should I treat this sweatband?

ThatOneNewGuy816

I believe there are some collectors who use oils or lotions, saddle soaps and such on the leather items in their collection. I believe I have even seen vaseline used. For me personally, I dont use any such conditioner. At most I may brush off any dust or dirt residue that I may be inclined to remove. Aside from that I dont recommend applying anything to the leather. It is thin, old leather. It eventually degrades over time just like we all do. Best way to preserve it is to put it in a helmet or display and not constantly hanle it it or play with it.  You cant make cracked, dry or brittle leather new again.

Also, what period is this sweatband? From the small section of fabric peeking through it appears to be post WWII. Perhaps late 50 to 1960s. If this is the case I believe "New Old Stock" sweatbands from this era are still readily available  if you need a sweatband for use.

I agree with Dave. More often than not whatever you do with these sweatbands will do more harm than good. In any case though, this sweatband is too dry/brittle for any product to really do much. Leave it as is and don't handle it much. It's unfortunate but that's how it goes with these sweatbands sometimes

Personally I would not do anything to it, and I would handle it as little as possible. Unfortunately leather is an organic material, and organic materials change throughout the passage of time. The things leather is treated with during the process of making it useable for industry only help to make it useable in the short term. 

When it gets to this point there is nothing that will truly reverse the effects of time, the atmosphere, or the oils with which it has been exposed to (sweat, salts, etc.). These things damage the leather and it cannot be restored to what it was new. My take is that if it is old it deserves to rest. Purchase a reproduction as a stand in if you have a need for it to be pliable. 

RC