Tom Steponaitis -- aka MohawkALSE -- has passed away

FtrPlt

We lost Tom Steponaitis yesterday. No details available yet. 

I wasn't sure where to post this. Chose the survival gear section as it was truly a subject he was passionate about. 

I know Tom lost his dad and uncle only a few months ago so my condolences to his family

I've traded messages with Tom for years. He literally knew more about the flight gear that I used than I did. 

Tailwinds, Tom. You'll be missed

RIP. Huge loss to all who kew him and to the forum. He helped many and was always willing to share his knowledge and passion for collecting aviation items. 

This is a shock. I didn't know him except on the forum, but I really enjoyed reading his posts. He had a lot of knowledge and a fine collection. Condolences to his family. 

Sad new,

how many times I've read at his posts about a shockingly large list of aviation gear. Many instances it wasn't the kind of items I've got direct interest in, but just less than three weeks ago a couple tips from him about my Leg Restraints inquiry had been paramount to me for securing the item before it might possibly go away.

Great loss indeed.

Thanks for the notice, that is very sad! I didn't know him much, but have seen him around the forum a lot!

I've moved the thread to the "Taps" board, as any notice of a member's passing can be posted there. 

I've learnt the sad news on a FB group page we were both members of.

Even though I only knew him from the internet, I'm still in shock, he was so kind and left us so young...

I first met Tom here, on the flight helmet section, when I was a total beginner in this collecting range.

Needless to say he was a real expert in this matter, especially with US Army aviation (regarding his father's career). His huge amount of knowledge and will to help was always welcome - his post count speaks for itself. Learnt a lot from him here, on FB, and via our correspondence in the PM section.

He'll be greatly missed by the Flight Helmet Community for his insight and kindness.
RIP Tom.

His Obituary has been posted online:

Thomas J. Steponaitis
"Loving son, partner, father & brother"

Thomas J. Steponaitis, 38, of Columbus, OH and formerly of Waterbury, CT, passed away unexpectedly on Saturday, February 11, 2023 at the hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
Thomas was born in Waterbury, CT on August 26, 1984, a son of Evelyn (Scamporlina) Steponaitis and the late John V. Steponaitis. He was a 2002 graduate of Pomperaug High School and attended Naugatuck Valley Community College and Columbus State Community College, where he earned his Aviation Aircraft Maintenance Certificate. While in high school, Thomas was a member of the Danbury, CT Civil Air Patrol achieving Cadet Chief Master Sergeant. He worked as a mail packer for UPS in Connecticut and Ohio.

Besides his mother, Evelyn, of Watertown, CT, Thomas leaves to cherish his memory his sister, Ann Marie Howe and her husband, Louis of Middlebury, CT, partner, Brittany Brown of Columbus, OH, stepson, Benjamin Brown of Columbus, OH and nieces, Madison and Alexis Howe of Middlebury, CT. He is also survived by his aunts, Carol Salemi, Priscilla Steponaitis and Nancy Geddes, uncles, Daniel (Diana) Scamporlina, Joseph (Cheryl) Scamporlina and several cousins. He also leaves behind his "brothers" Anthony, Tim, Joey, Matt, Brian, Steve, Colin, and Phil to whom he was proud to call his friends. The other love of his life he leaves is his beloved cat, Princess Kitty. He was predeceased by his grandparents, Joseph and Genevieve Scamporlina and Alfred and Sally Steponaitis. Tom wanted to be a pilot or be in the military but was unable to, but he achieved those dreams through his friends.

Arrangements: Thomas' funeral will be held on Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. from Chase Parkway Memorial/The Albini Family Funeral Home, 430 Chase Parkway, Waterbury, CT to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception for a Mass of Christian Burial at 10:00 a.m. Burial will follow at Mt. Olivet Cemetery. A calling hour will be held on Saturday morning from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. at the funeral home.

Here is his Find A Grave memorial, if you want to leave flowers:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/249511911/thomas-j-steponaitis

I hope this is ok... from his FB page...

I never met Tom in person, as with many of us, I knew Tom only through this forum and a few messages ....

tom.jpg

Somehow I just saw this news. Prayers to his family and friends. He helped me out with some advice, printed tech info  and even sent me some items that I needed for free. 

Rest in Peace.

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread here everyone.

I learned of Tom's sudden passing on Facebook last month.  We had just messaged like a week before his death, unbelievable.  I was very shocked and saddened that he was gone.  Still can't believe it.  I had never met Tom in person, only "spoken" to him here and via FB Messenger.  But you feel like you get to know a person that way and fell like you could be friends.  It's upsetting to hear of their passing - way too soon as in Tom's case...

The urge to send him photos of my latest pickups and to ask questions will be hard to suppress for awhile I think.

R.I.P. Tom, you will be missed...

12 hours ago, viking73 said:

Still can't believe it.  I had never met Tom in person, only "spoken" to him here and via FB Messenger.  But you feel like you get to know a person that way and fell like you could be friends. 

You couldn't have said it better, and I'm pretty sure a lot of us felt this way.