A sad Day indeed

adamoi1984

Well, I guess its not so sad! today I found a Vietnam era tropical ruck in a thrift store for $5 bucks. Initially, I thought that it was just a medium ALICE bag, until i looked into it further. Sad fact is that all the metal hardware are rusted out, and its missing the Frame entirely. On the good side, the nylon is in decent shape. Ill try to post pictures when I can. Does anyone have any idea on what would be the best route to begin a restoration? I figure that I could clean the metal with a wire brush, but where in the heck would i find the frame?

craig_pickrall

Even back in the good old days when these packs were fairly common I never saw spare frames available. I saw several packs with frames broken near the X. I did see the other day that the ARVN version in cotton are reasonably cheap and available so you might buy one of those and salvage a frame.

Even back in the good old days when these packs were fairly common I never saw spare frames available. I saw several packs with frames broken near the X. I did see the other day that the ARVN version in cotton are reasonablely cheap and available so you might buy one of those and salvage a frame.

Where did you find them suckers? w00t.gif

craig_pickrall

I didn't find them, I just saw a comment here on the forum that the ARVN version was fairly common.