Nice airborne portrait

pfrost

Picked this up this morning. A nice 1946 dated picture of a paratrooper. I believe his last name was Van Ripper. Can not ID the patch yet. Anyone have any information on this gentleman?

Thanks

Patrick

post-1519-1236464983.jpg

The patch is for the Austrian Occupation forces.Your man a possible 101st???

Looks like he has quite a few campains and two Phs to boot with his two Silver Stars.

Nice pic Patrick,Thanks for taking the time to post.

RD

Nice picture, he was well decorated.

Thanks fellows!

I am having trouble figuring out what the ribbons are?

Two Silver Stars, Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal (?), ???, EAME with 5 stars, and Victory Medal.

Any ideas?

Patrick

Patrick,

Sounds like you have the ribbons dead on.I believe the medal to be ARCOM as if it was a soldiers medal it would not have the white edges.I believe the ARCOM was instituted in 1945 and retroactive back to 1941.This fits the time frame of your photo for the award or wear of the ARCOM.

RON

I believe that's a Legion Of Merit between the Silver Star and Army Commendation ribbons. The Purple Heart is on the bottom row next to the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbon. If it is a Legion Of Merit, this guy must have had quite a career. Those usually weren't awarded to junior officers.

Captainofthe7th

Sean is right. For a while the PH was after all valor awards, I believe it only came before Good Conduct and Campaign medals.

So the order is:

Silver Star, LoM, ArCom

PH, EAME, WWII Victory

Rob

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it a great deal.

His name was Van Ripper (supposedly). I need to try to chase him down a bit and get some more information.

Patrick

currahee506
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it a great deal.

His name was Van Ripper (supposedly). I need to try to chase him down a bit and get some more information.

Patrick

By any chance - is there an 18th Airborne Corps patch on the other shoulder?

Rich

currahee506
By any chance - is there an 18th Airborne Corps patch on the other shoulder?

Rich

I believe your man's last name is Van Riper - not Van Ripper - if so, and it is who I think it is, he had quite a distinguished career.

Rich

Hello,

Yes, I think his name was actually Van Riper, my mistake. I can't see the other side, so do not know if he was wearing an 18th patch. The lady I got this from told me she though he was in politics after the war. So far, I haven't found much on him, but I haven't really started looking.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Patrick