Unmarked ethocel canteen

ardennes44

Hello folks 

I would like your opinion on that ethocel canteen I believe early 1942 is for clear and unmarked , is it right ?? 
looks made from 2 parts compressed 

thanks for your help 

785060F0-ABF5-4378-9B76-C9D6B7E6BA20.jpeg

BEFAA448-5660-46A7-ADD5-703877D6DA71.jpeg

38C827AC-DD6E-417D-8082-972779114312.jpeg

A2B50666-2FD2-41CC-BD94-EA885FA55610.jpeg

Hello,

Not sure why you think it is an early 1942.  The cap does not look like a flat top '42/early '43.  Plus the inside of the cap does not have a standard cork gasket.  I have a '42, '43. and '44 ethocel canteen and none have that three-part build.  Also the way that the attachment ring of the cap's metal chain is attached to the base of the canteen neck is very similar to my '44 dated ethocel rather than my '42 and '43.   If I was going to make a guess it would be that your canteen was made late '43 or early '44.  I have never seen a triple part ethocel, no matter what date.  Because of the unusual cap, its' three-part build, its' chain attachment, and no date or manufacture's mark I would say that it is either a '44 experimental or a civilian knock off.

CG

The Quartermaster Corps continued to experiment with different plastic formulations into at least 1943. 

This is very likely one of those - I don't know if anyone has untangled all of the variations tried, but this one is interesting in that it is a side seam. The center horizontal "seam" appears to be molded like that to match other patterns, and may not be a seam at all. 

The gasket in the cap is also interesting. 

I think you have a variation of the WWII plastic canteen (not civilian). Because it's not marked and because it's a side seam (which they did try) I think there probably aren't many of this type. Good find.