Mess hall chair back covers, have any?

Brian Keith

These seemed to be a “thing” in the ‘60’s-70’s I guess. I have two. One, Army, is (likely) from Ft. Benning, probably a paratrooper training company. “43 CO. ABN.” It is white printing on “infantry blue” vinyl. Inside, is the marking, “43rd Co Unit Fund” indicating how it was paid for.

The other is a Marine example. From the “COMM OFF MESS” (Commissioned Officer’s Mess?) 3rd Force Service Regiment, (3 D FSR), Camp Sukiran, Okinawa. The 3rd FSR was at Camp Sukiran from November 1961-December 1966. This Marine red, embroidered cover using yellow and green thread is very nice.

These are a bit interesting, I did Infantry Basic at Ft. Benning in early 1987 and I don’t recall these in our mess hall. I doubt many survive now. Anybody have any information about this type cover? Do you remember them anywhere? Any photos of them in use? If you have any, please post a photo!

Thanks,

BKW

P1270043.JPG

P1270045.JPG

P1270041.JPG

P1270042.JPG

spec6-spencer

Btw, I'm still looking for an answer to the question what kind of bottle is that between the serving dispenser and the shaker in the video. Maybe someone recognizes her now..?