WWII DAMAGE CONTROL M1 HELMET SCHLUETER LOT#69A w IMP LINER

Paddyd00

Here's another I have had for a long time.  As a USN M1 collector I have owned a bunch of these over the years ..... Not super Keen on Red M1s but wanted to keep 1 nice WWII Example in the stable.   I assume this was a fixed loop that had swivels applied later but hard to tell.  The cork hasn't been ground done and is still evident which I like.  It seems like a pretty legit WWII example whereas as USN lids can be repainted 50 times ... have post war spray paint stencils and the whole 9.  This one seems to have been left alone.  Has "1" painted by hand on the front and back and what looks like another rack number on top "101." It has OD2 Straps w Black painted hardware.

I have owned I believe every type of Early, Low and High Pressure Liner except a Hawley 2nd Gen and ..... an IMP! I find them hard to come by. So this is my only International Molded Plastics example.  Its a nice early one with unpainted A Washers. Thanks for lookin!

Enjoy this Ronald McDonald-esque Helm

Z

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

2 hours ago, Paddyd00 said:

Here's another I have had for a long time.  As a USN M1 collector I have owned a bunch of these over the years ..... Not super Keen on Red M1s but wanted to keep 1 nice WWII Example in the stable.   I assume this was a fixed loop that had swivels applied later but hard to tell.  The cork hasn't been ground done and is still evident which I like.  It seems like a pretty legit WWII example whereas as USN lids can be repainted 50 times ... have post war spray paint stencils and the whole 9.  This one seems to have been left alone.  Has "1" painted by hand on the front and back and what looks like another rack number on top "101." It has OD2 Straps w Black painted hardware.

I have owned I believe every type of Early, Low and High Pressure Liner except a Hawley 2nd Gen and ..... an IMP! I find them hard to come by. So this is my only International Molded Plastics example.  Its a nice early one with unpainted A Washers. Thanks for lookin!

Enjoy this Ronald McDonald-esque Helm

Z

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

I’m curious, why do you think this started life with fixed bales?  I don’t know either way. Was that a thing?  We never bothered with them if the bales were broken, just toss them over the side. I understand that my time dealing with them was late, so did they really put time and effort into repairing these?

Hi Steve.  I think they did.  I have seen this in a buncha army helmets with rewelded Loops. I did have 1 USN that was clearly repaired.

For this one though. The only reason think so is that the Lot# is so low. I would have figured they were producing Fixed Bales at this time. It could be a mistrike though. They certainly don’t looking replaced or repaired. 

Z

I’ve seen a few examples of former FBs turned SB. Usually you can see some discrepancies from where the weld mark for the bar formerly was. 

That could be the case here, or it could just barely make the cutoff for Schleuter swivel bales. Since production started production in January 1943.