K.G. Luke Collar Emblems

teufelhunde.ret

This is my emblem with the same hallmark, offset. In my opinion Gary's piece has been chromed or nickled, as all of backside hardware is the same color as well. I own about 5 Luke EGA's and all of them sport brass or bronze pins, hinge and catch. This odd ball that Gary posted has everything silver in appearance. It is my thought that someone, more than likely a vet, had some of his stuff nickled, including this piece for whatever reason. I have owned nickled German badges, nickled pistols and medals....all vet done sometime just postwar. It "flashed" things up for the folks back home I guess. My thoughts.

Mike
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

• 1 month later...
Armed 2 tha Teeth

What type of EGAs would the Marines of the 1st Marine division used when they arrived in Australia after Guadalcanal? Would they have been bronze or plastic? Were they supplied by Australian contractors or other means?

initially they would have worn brass US issue, or perhaps sterling in officers cases. The Australian mades were made after Guadalcanal for special purchase if desired. Mostly officers, I've only seen one enlisted emblem, and lost the auction sadly. see here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3808

as a side note, these appear to have only been made for the service uniforms...

Armed 2 tha Teeth

So it is possible that some of the Marines in Australia wore American EGAs. Were Australian makers able to produce their emblems immediately after the Marines arrived in Australia or is it possible that American made EGAs were issued in the interim?

as far as I know, Aussie-made were never ISSUED, they were private purchase to those who cared to shell out the moola for them.

Most Marines down under wore American emblems they brought with them from home

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, this just in. I know many of you were interested in seeing. I know Gary was too, sadly he cannot.

There was some talk this may have been a dress emblem, as the pics were blurry. Also, the seller said it was marked 'KG Luke' Australia. Turns out it's marked 'KG Luke Melbourne'. SO not a unique varient like we though.

So here's the analysis. It's been painted silver, probably back during WWII, when the chain was attached, and not just looped, to the emblem and a Captain Bar, which is H&H Imperial marked. The bird was painted to match the rank patina. Front and rear, and has over the years started to fade, revealing the bronze. This comes directly from Australia, not far from Melbourne, so it's my belief that the Marine officer converted his emblem into a sweetheart piece for an Aussie girlfriend, which is the emblems saving grace. That, and I paid less than 200 for it, so pretty cheap compared to eBay's norm as of late.

Probably the most spent on a sweetheart 'emblem' that I know of though :lol:

Enjoy guys. A nice emblem, though not the grail we initially though
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

jeremiahcable

Granted, it wasn't what we hoped but it is still a very, very unique piece and well worth what you spent on it. Would look great in a shadow box with an some Aussie made patches.

original auction pics, shadow from teh flatbed seems to give the bird and anchor a gold luster, but look close and you can see silver

231e_1.jpg

c49e_1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is a pair of K.G Luke EGAs. They are not mine they are from a USMC collector friend.
He paid a visit and let me photograph these. Thanks Pete :thumbsup:
Pete was given these by a 1st Mar Div veteran of Guadalcanal.

There has been some heated discussion about KG Luke hallmarks and whether or not they have the full word Melbourne on original items or just Melb.
You can see that this pair have the full word Melbourne.

post-22-0-02939900-1400100872.jpg

• 10 months later...

didn't even see that! what it bring? only other I saw was years ago on eBay when I was in Baghdad, brought 300+ and yes, I feel it is a scarcer enlisted version

or possibly the continents just fell off and that was an outline template?

teufelhunde.ret
or possibly the continents just fell off and that was an outline template?

sold for $263. right in line with other singles. I the were enlisted emblems sold...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Another enlisted version has shown up...

This one is only the 4th I've viewed in many years, it closes today on ebay and current high bid is $361, which will be a new high high water mark for this emblem: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A complete discussion of these highly sought after emblems is found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...l=luke&st=0

eluke2_horz.jpg

• 5 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I have a thing for Aussie made USMC gear, A good mate of mine had this EGA in one of his display cases he takes to shows. I very calmly and respectfully JUMPED ALL OVER the BLOODY THING when I laid eyes on it :lol:

I saw it under the glass, obscured by some British WWI badges...I looked closer and could make out the top of the pin hinge. I pulled out said badge (its OK we have known each other a long time ;) ) and did what all of us would do at this juncture...turmed it over and thought to myself " whale oil beef hooked :w00t: )

He tells me that it had been in the same case for sometime ( this case is full of badges pre WWI to current day of all nations) how I missed it is beyond me :think: however it is now in my care :thumbsup:

post-60220-1326290525.jpg

post-60220-1326290542.jpg

Thanks and Best wishes.

Aussie made 1st Div Patch to follow

Gents,

I love the look of this badge and after reviewing the link provided by devildog (thankyou teufelhunde) Im a little taken aback...I had no idea of the rarity or inherent value and neither did my mate. I guess at the end of the day I paid him what we agreed was a fair price...what a concept gentlemen, a mutually agreed FAIR price...just like the old days :)

Cheers