1/35 Scale Diamond T truck & 155mm Howitzer

Old Marine

I finally finished this truck and howitzer.  It was a slow grind.  The gun kit was by Bronco and was pretty well cast.  The truck is by Mirror models and that kit was difficult to say the least. The kit is way more complicated than it needs to be and it was poorly molded with tiny pieces attached to huge sprues.  Plus, while watching Chariots of Fire work on his incredibly detailed and superbly built Diamond T wrecker I was almost embarrassed to post this model with so many flaws.  Anyway, I was able to, hopefully, hide some of the kit flaws with the gun crew and all their gear.  

This model was based on this war time photo.  The censor blocked out the bumper number but I am pretty confident this is a gun and crew of the 969th Field Artillery Battalion.  The 969th was a segregated unit and assigned to the VIII Corps. The 969th landed at Normandy in July 1944 and was involved in fighting in Normandy, the Ardennes, the Colmar Pocket, and others.

In the second photo if you look at the truck on the far left you can see how much gear was piled up in the truck leaving nowhere for the crew to sit, except on top of it all. Ok, enough talking photos of the model.  Thanks for looking.

Dennis

867C0F9D-409F-441A-B4E8-4AC58EF53BEE.jpeg

913F8402-9604-41F7-B46E-0F97E9151D3E.jpeg

ECD9E793-70EC-47D4-88EB-1C4380522206.jpeg

FAB678B5-5922-4284-85A4-6747A2187819.jpeg

Dennis,

You hit this one out of the park! That is a loaded down truck! I love how they are sitting in the truck with their feet up on the boxes and ammo. Excellent job!

...Kat

Another incredible modeling project, Dennis. I for one really admire your Diomond as well, great work. I love the painting and weathering of your 155mm howitzer but my favourite is the load bed with the gun crew. So many details (love the man with the captured Luger and his counterpart, lol). I assume the figures are kitbashed as usual with Hornet or Alpine heads?

All in all another outstanding model, thanks for sharing it!

WOW, Dennis this is great work. You really showed your modeling skills by making the Diamond T look like it's been in the field for months. Excellent weathering. I've been there when you come across a model that can become an albatross of a build. But you pull through. The figures are outstanding as always. I like the two projectiles in the open in the box. They look like they're ready in case there is a call for a "hip shoot". BTW thank you for bringing back some old memories of my arty days.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 3 weeks later...
Chariots of Fire

I like what you did!  There is life in your work, even though things are still.  You can almost hear the various conversations going on between crew members.  Thanks for posting!

Chariots of Fire

There is an artist's drawing of the photo that is mentioned at the top of the post on the back cover of the Squadron Walkaround for the Diamond T 4-Ton Truck.  The bumper says "1A-969F on the passenger side and the unit number C-11 on the driver's side.  The large whiteout says "EXPLOSIVES".  The inside cover says it is the 969th artillery battalion taken near Bastogne, Belgium in 1944.  No idea of the authenticity of the numbering.

• 2 months later...