Will this stuff even be worth anything in 2047...?? Your Thoughts?

RedLegRob

MinorInHistory

Hello everyone, I guess I'll chip in as a 17 year old "Minor in History." I got into collecting through hearing stories from my Grandad, who served in the Army for over 20 years. He gave me some of his items when I was probably around 10, which really sparked my interest in military collecting. Since then, I've been a diehard collector. Militaria collecting has nurtured my love for history and formed it into something that I want to pursue in the future. I recently led my Eagle Scout Project, which was researching deceased veterans in a Church's cemetery by interviewing family members, then creating a website with the information and setting up a timeline militaria display at the Church's annual fair (I will link the website created for the project, I highly recommend reading the veteran's stories and visiting the Church). I was assisted in this endeavor by many fellow Scouts and young volunteers, some of whom were collectors, or simply history buffs. I personally believe that this shows there is still hope for young people out here that care about militaria and history from the history standpoint, not just influence from pop-history or video games. 

I feel extremely blessed in that my Dad collects records and stuff like that, so most weekends we're out hitting up estate sales, yard sales, and thrift stores. I am able to grow my collection through incessant searching, frugal expenditures, and hardcore dedication. Although I have very limited income as a teenager, I have been trying to narrow down my collection to items with traceable history. I mentioned my Eagle Project, but I want to emphasize the impact it had on my military collection ideology. Talking with the families of the veterans, I came to appreciate the richness of items connected to veterans, and the process of finding their stories. The most personally valuable items to me in my collection are those with stories. I was recently able to find the exact plane that was flown to a pilot whose uniform I got at a yard sale! The coolness factor behind experiences like that is what motivates me to collect, and I know that although the market may decrease, I'll still be around. 

Just my two cents worth. Here's the website:

https://sites.google.com/view/pohick-church-veterans/home

51 minutes ago, MinorInHistory said:

Hello everyone, I guess I'll chip in as a 17 year old "Minor in History." I got into collecting through hearing stories from my Grandad, who served in the Army for over 20 years. He gave me some of his items when I was probably around 10, which really sparked my interest in military collecting. Since then, I've been a diehard collector. Militaria collecting has nurtured my love for history and formed it into something that I want to pursue in the future. I recently led my Eagle Scout Project, which was researching deceased veterans in a Church's cemetery by interviewing family members, then creating a website with the information and setting up a timeline militaria display at the Church's annual fair (I will link the website created for the project, I highly recommend reading the veteran's stories and visiting the Church). I was assisted in this endeavor by many fellow Scouts and young volunteers, some of whom were collectors, or simply history buffs. I personally believe that this shows there is still hope for young people out here that care about militaria and history from the history standpoint, not just influence from pop-history or video games. 

I feel extremely blessed in that my Dad collects records and stuff like that, so most weekends we're out hitting up estate sales, yard sales, and thrift stores. I am able to grow my collection through incessant searching, frugal expenditures, and hardcore dedication. Although I have very limited income as a teenager, I have been trying to narrow down my collection to items with traceable history. I mentioned my Eagle Project, but I want to emphasize the impact it had on my military collection ideology. Talking with the families of the veterans, I came to appreciate the richness of items connected to veterans, and the process of finding their stories. The most personally valuable items to me in my collection are those with stories. I was recently able to find the exact plane that was flown to a pilot whose uniform I got at a yard sale! The coolness factor behind experiences like that is what motivates me to collect, and I know that although the market may decrease, I'll still be around. 

Just my two cents worth. Here's the website:

https://sites.google.com/view/pohick-church-veterans/home

Very well done!!