Lend-Lease 5" S&W Victory Model

1srelluc

I bought a 5" S&W Victory Model in .38/200 yesterday and was wondering about when they came back into the USA. 

This one has no import markings like the Australian V-M imports of around 20 years ago. 

Did the non-import marked examples come back before '68 or was there some kind of loophole (like CMP involvement) that precluded having them marked?

This one was marked 'United States Property' on the top strap....Everything matches as it should including the stocks. Nice and tight with a great bore. Parked finish. Given the holster wear it went someplace.

vm 001 (2).JPG

vm 002 (2).JPG

vm 003 (3).JPG

I can't answer your question, but I like your revolver. I have a couple myself. Those British pattern holsters are harder to find now days also. Thanks for posting it. Great WW II "Arsenal of Democracy" piece!

BKW

19 minutes ago, Brian Keith said:

I can't answer your question, but I like your revolver. I have a couple myself. Those British pattern holsters are harder to find now days also. Thanks for posting it. Great WW II "Arsenal of Democracy" piece!

BKW

I have a few of them of different flavors with my favorite one being a 4" US Navy marked example in a named Boyt '43 USN holster. 

Very nice Victory!

Will you be shooting it?

I have one in similar condition as well, same caliber and slightly later in serial number.

I thought mine was without an import stamp but 3 months after I purchased it, I found a light import stamp under the barrel right back from the muzzle. Maybe check there?

Based on the serial number and the importer, 'Charlie Flick' suggested that it came back from New Zealand.

Kim

9 minutes ago, kfields said:

Very nice Victory!

Will you be shooting it?

I have one in similar condition as well, same caliber and slightly later in serial number.

I thought mine was without an import stamp but 3 months after I purchased it, I found a light import stamp under the barrel right back from the muzzle. Maybe check there?

Based on the serial number and the importer, 'Charlie Flick' suggested that it came back from New Zealand.

Kim

Oh yeah, I'll shoot it. I checked it over with a magna-visor last evening and there's nothing on it. Back in the day the import markings were very tiny and often lightly stamped, not like the "billboards" of today.

Glad to hear you will shoot it. I've slowly acquired 500 rounds of 38s&w over the last 18 months since I've acquired mine and do shoot it occasionally. 

Once 'Charlie Flick' sees your post, I'm sure he will add some interesting details.

Charlie Flick
On 1/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, 1srelluc said:

This one has no import markings like the Australian V-M imports of around 20 years ago. Did the non-import marked examples come back before '68 or was there some kind of loophole (like CMP involvement) that precluded having them marked?

Hello:

I posted a response to your similar inquiry over on the S&W Forum.  I will repeat it here for the benefit of our Members who may not frequent the other Forum.

First, it is probable that your new Victory never left the USA for the UK. I see none of the usual plethora of post-war British commercial proof marks on your example. There are no foreign property or units marks observed. Thus, there is at least a fair chance that it did not go overseas during WW2. Be aware that the U.S. retained some of these .38-200 guns in its own inventory. Not all went overseas.

Second, if we assume that your revolver was returned to the USA then yes, that would likely have occurred before the effective date of the '68 Gun Control Act. The Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44), requires an imported firearm to be identified by the name of the manufacturer, importer, or maker. The absence of any such importer marking strongly suggests that your revolver was not imported into the USA after the '68 GCA and, indeed, may never have gone overseas at all.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie