ID parachute back pad help needed

phantomfixer

This is the data tag/ info on a sealed carton containing a USAF parachute back pad

can anyone provide a visual for which type of back pad is inside, based on the drawing and stick number? 
dated 1956

trying to avoid the temptation of opening the carton

thanks much

AF8288C4-F049-4FE3-96C7-57ACA1491CE9.jpeg

When I looked up that drawing number, the specs it lists for what it consists of basically sounds like the usual square back pad found on the BA series parachutes, mentions it has 4 snaps, 1 at each corner.

I believe what you have is a 15" square pad that attaches with a snap fastener in each corner. I don't have a manual old enough to show your exact pad, but the manual I have says your pad can be used in lieu of this pad. The cover of yours may not be nylon, but the size and shape will be similar.

DSCN4355.JPG.c1a06b5f9730094185f5e7a17c4d4885.JPG

exploiting this topic for a question,

would the four fasteners be present on a thicker (but supposedly identical in dimensions) PLD backpad meant for replacing this standard pad on a back-style BA 'chute? Thanx.

Yes, the snap fasteners are present and in the same places. The PLD pad is a little thicker than this pad, but the outside dimensions of both the same. There is a flat panel on both pads that the snaps are on. The pad and PLD line storage area come out from this panel. In other words, the pad and line storage area are all on one side of the flat panel. They are reversed in that the pad goes toward the back and on the PLD the line storage area goes toward the parachute and away from the back.

444384179_DSCN43561.jpg.5f7f75de451cd3b9ff1b97c607b2b011.jpg

2 hours ago, RWW said:

Yes, the snap fasteners are present and in the same places. The PLD pad is a little thicker than this pad, but the outside dimensions of both the same. There is a flat panel on both pads that the snaps are on. The pad and PLD line storage area come out from this panel. In other words, the pad and line storage area are all on one side of the flat panel. They are reversed in that the pad goes toward the back and on the PLD the line storage area goes toward the parachute and away from the back.

444384179_DSCN43561.jpg.5f7f75de451cd3b9ff1b97c607b2b011.jpg

Thanx very much,   who knows maybe someday I'll find out one in good shape to fit my BA-18 of mid-1960s.

Currently some priority goes to a PLD of the correct model for a F-16 pilot, thus it should go onto a PCU-style torso harness  -   I think they were rather simply sewn to the PCU, along PLD's overlapping upper edge. No luck till now in finding out this correct model, so I'm still on research.