Every USN CPO Rating Specialty Mark Ever Worn

dpcsdan

It would take too much space to load the photos to USMF server space, but the below link will allow you to view every USN CPO rating specialty mark ever worn. A few of the specialty marks are duplicated in the different collages. By my count there are 113 CPO specialties from 1893-2008 (excluding the Apprentice CPO and MCPO CMD-FLT-FOR-NAVY marks).

Check the fourth line of photo entries and click on them to see larger versions of the rating badges, all but three are from my collection. Missing (but featured in photos of other collections) Gun Captain CPO, Airship Rigger CPO and Underwater Mechanic CPO. I'm looking for these and ready to trade/purchase.

http://www.navycollector.com/NavyCollector...ctorGallery.htm

Enjoy,

-dan

I have a USN chief petty officer checkoff sheet I've created in PDF format. If anyone is interested, contact me and I'll forward it to you.

-dan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Seems like this may be the place to ask:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/164695-uscg-chemical-warfare-grouping-iwo-jima-mimeographs/#entry1248789

I looked through your collection and didnt see this rate. I know its USCG so I dont know if that falls under your collection or not. If you have any info on these guys during WWII I'd appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rusty, Thank you very much! You're right that it wasn't in the fourth row with the rating badges Dan talked about, but I was so impressed with all the eye candy to look at, that I began pulling up and drooling, I mean "studying," the other photos. The badge I'm asking about is in the photo at Dan's site here: http://www.navycollector.com/NavyCollector/Navy%20Images/Collage-9.JPG

It's towards the lower right corner to the right of the Salvage Diver badge.

• 3 months later...

Dan,

I would love to get a copy of the chief petty officer checkout sheet to use for my collection. Thanx!

Paul

I've added a photo of every "mark" for each specialty. The .pdf file is now too large for messanger. I'll need your email address sent to [email protected]

Thanks,

-dan

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...
easterneagle87

Was out junk hunting and found these today.I know the musician  and avn ordnance, but what’s are the other two? Hour glass and crossed wrench - prop (two styles) 

682A12E3-0C18-45BD-8625-A467431A8C1B.jpeg

21 hours ago, Justin B. said:

They worked foundries, made molds and cast metal pieces.

And pattern makers made the patterns that the molders cast. Both are gone now. They worked at Naval Ship Yards, Repair Ships and Tenders. 

• 1 month later...

The "hour glass" is actually supposed to represent an image seen through a magnifying glass.

The rating is Photo Intelligence Man. The men in this rating interpreted high-altitude aerial photos.

One of my best friends in high school was a 3rd class PI man when he served aboard the USS Forrestal. (Yes, he was on board during the fire.)

3 hours ago, Jim Morris said:

The "hour glass" is actually supposed to represent an image seen through a magnifying glass.

The rating is Photo Intelligence Man. The men in this rating interpreted high-altitude aerial photos.

Stacey's reference for rating symbols shows the divergent light rays passing through a lens with a pair of stereoscopic glasses as the mark for a Photographic Intelligenceman.  The stereo glasses are used to get 3D effects from photographs.

PhotoIntelligenceSymbol2a.jpg.38c85fb2e5245df0b51e627dfd23fef6.jpg

Larry

3 hours ago, Jim Morris said:

One of my best friends in high school was a 3rd class PI man when he served aboard the USS Forrestal. (Yes, he was on board during the fire.)

Sorry, that is actually a Photographers Mate. Post 1948. 

On 2/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, sigsaye said:

Sorry, that is actually a Photographers Mate. Post 1948. 

The khaki CPO crow...