Need Help IDing a Duffel Bag!

Teamski

That looks like what we called a “barracks bag” in the 1950s. Mine was blue (USAF). It was somewhat smaller than our duffle bag and we used it for dirty laundry.

craig_pickrall

I am far from an expert on these but during WW2 that bag could have been used by the Army, AAF or Marines. The name marking on that one appears to be USMC style. I think the equivalent bag used by the Navy was white and a heavy canvas. That bag you show should be a light weight cotton if it is like the ones I am familar with. I think in the Army each GI was issued 2 of those bags and 1 duffle bag of heavy canvas.

El Bibliotecario

My first thought when I saw the photo was 'laundry bag' (current terminology) or as a previous poster points out, 'barracks bag.' I'm not sure whether the latter term is era-peculiar or service-peculiar.

As for the WW2 GI being issued two, I have a recollection of seeing a photo somewhere of a troopie with two bags tied together by the drawstrings, and slung over his shoulder, one in front, one behind.

My guess is that the dimensions of this item are smaller than that of a duffel bag, particularly in length.

craig_pickrall

This is from LIFE Magazine dated 5-19-1941. Note that item 1 in the list is tied to the head of the bed in the center. In this case it appears it is the earlier blue denium bag.

post-5-1236444481.jpg

post-5-1236444467.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Good point--decades later in army barracks the laundry bag was still tied on the foot of the bunk, each bag being tied in the same manner for uniformity. With the introduction of college-dorm type barracks I imagine such practices, along with the junk-on-the-bunk displays, have disappeared.

It's a little hard to tell the size of your bag, but it appears to be a Marine Corps sea bag. A Navy bag would be virtually identical but white canvas. It looks like a Marine type name stencil. I believe Navy bags usually have their service number added.

Army barracks bags came in a variety of materials and colors. Early ones were in blue denim. Others were in khaki or differing shades of OD and could be made from lightweight cotton duck or HBT. Initially two were issued and supposed to be marked "A" and "B" to tell them apart. They proved to be awkward to carry as they turned into ball shapes when filled. When the more practical Army duffel bag was introduced in 1943 one barracks bag was retained as a laundry bag.

hbtcoveralls

HI all,

clearly not a WWII US Army Barracks bag. I've seen them in many materials: Blue denim, Khaki cotton and OD cotton and HBT. But I've never seen one with the eyelets for the string. BTW I knew I was a crazy collector when I realized that I have one barracks bag filled with nothing but barracks bags!

T.Bowers

• 6 years later...

I´m pulling up this old thread because I discovered a very similar one with eyelets on either side and it clearly has a QM Tag. Unfortunately hard to read. Is looks different to the standard Army barracks bag because it is more narrow and longer. It is made of an heavier fabric. It´s a bit like denim but thicker or sateen but a bit heavier.

Is is possible that it is a USMC pattern?

post-5069-0-13516100-1441270637.jpg

post-5069-0-28735000-1441270646.jpg

General Apathy

one more picture.

The brass eyelets look a bit like WWI or pre WWII, don´t they?

Hi Constabulary, from the weave I see and the design of the label that is definitely a WWI - to 1920s example that you have, I have an identical example in my collection.

Lewis.