A group shot of 4 knives in my collection

kfields

Here are 4 knives in the collection.
The one on top, not WW2 of course, but an old German field knife dated 1968. I bought this used when I served with the 16th Infantry in Germany in the mid-70's. I needed a good sturdy knife I could use in the field and equally important, one I could afford. I later had my name and unit engraved in the blade;
The second one is an aluminum handled knife made by the Barteaux brothers from Oregon(?). This belonged to WW2 sailor Roland Orth, who served aboard the USS Vestel. He had his name and serial name etched into the blade. I communicated with him before he passed away and he said he had purchased it right before shipping out.
3rd knife down was obviously made in the field. It belonged to PFC Harry Adriance, Co C, 396th Infantry, 100th Division. In addition to his name engraved on the blade, the date Jan 15, 1945 is also engraved;
And on the bottom is my Uncle Robert Blands personal Kinfolks knife. He served as a crew chief with the 374th Fighter Squadron. They were further deployed to airfields in France and Belgium later in the war. Lots of repairs to this old knife and sheath! Being a crew chief, he most definitely had access to equipment to assist in rebuilding the knife and sheath. I was given the knife by my Aunt after he passed away.

4 knives.jpg

Great connection with history!

Like these kind of posts, you look at the picture think one thing then read and the story gets more interesting, well done!

2 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

I married into the Barteaux family. Still looking for the knives....

hyrax222

That's interesting! Any stories you can share about the makers?

My 85 year old father-in-law is Jerry Barteaux.  He is a nephew of Frank, If I remember correctly. I asked him about Barteaux knives and he became very animated. I pressed him about any family artifacts he may have squirreled away but nothing... 

... every holiday that I'm at the in laws, I look in the knife drawer.

hyrax222

The Barteaux Aluminum Handled Knife is similar to the Murphy Combat Knife.  For fans of Gerber Knives, in 1939 Murphy worked with Joseph Gerber (founder of Gerber Legendary Blades) to make some cutlery knives for friends and family.  Their popularity grew and different models were created.  The attached pic are of a WWII Murphy Combat Knife, and a 1941 Murphy/Gerber "Miming" Steak Knife.  

kfields, very nice grouping of knives and thank you for some of the back stories on them.

hyrax222, very cool to have your in-laws family tree.  Keep looking for those gems.

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

17 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

My 85 year old father-in-law is Jerry Barteaux.  He is a nephew of Frank, If I remember correctly. I asked him about Barteaux knives and he became very animated. I pressed him about any family artifacts he may have squirreled away but nothing... 

... every holiday that I'm at the in laws, I look in the knife drawer.

hyrax222

Oh man,. I bet you are looking around! 

Dave Murphy is said to be the one who showed Barteaux how to make his knives as well as Gerber. I've heard it said around here that Barteaux at one time was in Camas Washington.  Just north of Portland.  Those places are so close to each other both could be possible.

General Apathy
On 1/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, hyrax222 said:

I married into the Barteaux family. Still looking for the knives....

hyrax222

Hi hyrax,

just as interesting would be paper records, photographs, design details, and numbers made if any of this is possible.

Good hunting.

regards lewis.

• 9 months later...