Unknown Mortar (Vietnam)

collector74

Can anyone hazard a guess what is the exact Type, Model and details of this Mortar? Its the oddest i have ever seen.

Its currently in Vietnam (around HANOI- reported by the VN Army to me), reported and i would like more info as we are coming up cold with standard databases for this one. I have a feeling it might be WW2 period?

image_4759285.jpg

A US Illumination round pictured. I suspect yours in not US, and what you have pictured is the rear section only. The other forward section missing was separated when parachuted down. A put together? Maybe a mortar reassembled by the VC in the field with expended parts?

8600E3AD-1D73-4774-8829-536F9384EEE3.jpeg

Thanks, They didn't provide any definitive measurements at the time or revisit it with better photos and this was 2020. The item was spotted outside HANOI in the hills where runners make tracks- so probably couldn't be US related. It was apparently about 81/82mm in diameter if i recall.

I couldn't find any related item to fit the odd shape for French, Japanese, US, Russian etc. I even suspect its a training item or for drills. I really have no idea.

Best REgards,

Pete

Well, it was outside HANOI city in the North> a long way from QUANG TRI.  Not even the start of the HCMT.

WW2? 1950s? I have no clue- and the weirdest design i have ever seen.

BR

Pete

The rounded top of the fins, hole pattern, and skinny long section make me think Russian.  I'm with Opus, the 82mm are usually shorter but who knows as it looks like the 120mm

Certainly looks like a 120mm in scale to me looking the the spigot and the body/nose size. They said 81-82mm but the technical answers from the Vietnamese Army were sometimes pretty vague at times and it was info from a runner as said. When you wanted or expected a reply you might never get one- like this case. The nose and ogive are the strangest things ever. They probably went and dealt with it but that was it.

Pete

• 1 month later...

If the round was found around Hanoi, then it might have been a French mortar.  The French military were in that area until they lost the battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

Larry