101st Airborne A-2 Jacket

Connor Bills

Jacket seem right (cuffs look replaced) and the wear of the painting looks good to me-

(kind of a cool bird too) no idea when that was done, but "could be" IMO.

no service # or any ID?

2 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Jacket seem right (cuffs look replaced) and the wear of the painting looks good to me-

(kind of a cool bird too) no idea when that was done, but "could be" IMO.

no service # or any ID?

I have alllllllllll of the guys paperwork. I will post everything when the time is appropriate. Lots more field gear and combat stuff to post as well. 

Just now, Mr.Jerry said:

the money shot would a photo of him wearing it!

I can’t remember if there is one for sure, but I think there might be.  

I agree with Mr. Jerry, probably replaced cuffs, different color from the knit on the waist. First blush the rest looks good to me as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the group. 

2 minutes ago, warguy said:

I agree with Mr. Jerry, probably replaced cuffs, different color from the knit on the waist. First blush the rest looks good to me as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the group. 

I’ve posted his modified m43 trousers in this section a while back. It’s just taking me a while to buy everything.  We are still finding items in his estate too. 

1 minute ago, dmar836 said:

Appears his rank insignia were removed. Should be an interesting grouping!

Dave

I don’t believe I remember seeing any evidence of rank insignia on the jacket. You’re probably seeing something I am too ignorant to notice though. I can say that during ww2 he was a Lt.  

Dave is right and has a good eye, stitch marks are evident at end of epaulette, almost certainly from leather rank tabs once sewn on. If he was promoted during the war, it was not uncommon to remove those. Many times they were replaced with new rank, but my experience on A2’s is sometimes the replacement wasn't found especially in the field. Look to see if there was a promotion from second to first Lt., or from Lt. to Captain.

1 hour ago, warguy said:

Dave is right and has a good eye, stitch marks are evident at end of epaulette, almost certainly from leather rank tabs once sewn on. If he was promoted during the war, it was not uncommon to remove those. Many times they were replaced with new rank, but my experience on A2’s is sometimes the replacement wasn't found especially in the field. Look to see if there was a promotion from second to first Lt., or from Lt. to Captain.

I will when I’m back home. I’m currently on the road for work. 

Cool that the original zipper of the 27752 contract appears to be there. Would also be interested to see close ups of the collar stand as it appears to have been patched long ago. Could have some post-war wear but sure made it through okay! 

Will you be getting the other A-2 or is it elsewhere?

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Cool that the original zipper of the 27752 contract appears to be there. Would also be interested to see close ups of the collar stand as it appears to have been patched long ago. Could have some post-war wear but sure made it through okay! 

Will you be getting the other A-2 or is it elsewhere?

Dave

No lll have the entire group including the other A-2.  It has no insignia, however a ww2 101st patch was in the pocket when we found it.  The soldier was with the 101st through Vietnam. 

Well, it looks like you've got yourself a beauty. I'm don't know much about A-2's but I know I like them. They are pretty pricy in my area, especially if patched or painted. If I can ask, did you get a good deal? I wonder how popular A-2's were with service people who were not in the AAC. 

14 minutes ago, sundance said:

Well, it looks like you've got yourself a beauty. I'm don't know much about A-2's but I know I like them. They are pretty pricy in my area, especially if patched or painted. If I can ask, did you get a good deal? I wonder how popular A-2's were with service people who were not in the AAC. 

Well given the rarity of some items in the grouping I paid a lot. Well over 10k. Yes I think I got a good deal given how complete the group is. 

Just now, Connor Bills said:

Yes, I believe he did. 

Very nice! I would love to see the other pictures of all the items you have. What regiment was he in? 

7 minutes ago, Teun said:

Very nice! I would love to see the other pictures of all the items you have. What regiment was he in? 

He was 801st airborne ordnance company. 

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Dentino

Oh this is shaping up to be a spectacular grouping and can't wait to see the complete post once the other items have been purchased.  This is gonna be good!!!!  Beautiful A-2 and love the painted shoulder patch/tab.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Mr.Jerry said:

the money shot would a photo of him wearing it!

While not 101st, A-2s were popular in Airborne units as well.

1651538070_LtErnestDailey505PIRItaly.jpg.bbe7e432ce17d6d25397e0445e70d4f9.jpg