compass pouch

ardennes44

Hello folks 

need your opinion on that pouch.
color looks strange from pictures but pretty sure genuine . 

in advance thank you 

E35010EC-AE43-4EFB-BE8C-A46EE17BCBFB.jpeg

A64DFB71-B5C5-4F7C-9137-16F4BC322C34.jpeg

E47146F5-341B-4B80-8971-E8FC788FD8E0.jpeg

I am not well versed regarding these compass cases (but know more than I did after acquiring the repro in the second URL/thread added in my first post). You will likely receive some additional responses which will confirm or refute the originality of your pouch in question soon...

• 3 weeks later...

There have been some convincing, and not very convincing replicas of compass pouches. When it comes to the really good replicas, a little wear and it makes it harder to tell without having it in hand. Complicating this is the simple fact that there were a lot of material variations during the war.

I have an original that looks pretty much identical to this (the canvas color looks the same to me). I bought it a long time ago from an old man in the middle of nowhere for 50 cents. It had been kept with old tools in a garage and the seller had no idea what it was for and didn't care, so I'm confident it was not a reproduction. 😄

So anecdotally yours looks like my original - while that isn't conclusive proof yours is original, it at least means that if it isn't, its a very good replica. I think it's merely one of the 1943-44 examples made using transitional materials. The base canvas is unusual, which is why I distinctly remembered my 50 cent example. 

RC

Thanks for you reply , I got it last week and the color is od07. Due to the flash light the color looked more grey on the pictures ;-) 

That is good to hear. I know some nice replicas have been made using original materials, but this looks like an original and I would not worry about it. 

RC

Looks like a repo to me. Thread doesn’t look right. You mentioned color but that could be flash, etc. snaps are a little off in location; material looks a little off and it’s missing bar tack on the bottom edging. There are a couple of other areas of concern but they are only opinions. As RC says it looks ok so unless you are selling it I wouldn’t worry about it 

2 hours ago, ccyooper said:

Looks like a repo to me. Thread doesn’t look right. You mentioned color but that could be flash, etc. snaps are a little off in location; material looks a little off and it’s missing bar tack on the bottom edging. There are a couple of other areas of concern but they are only opinions. As RC says it looks ok so unless you are selling it I wouldn’t worry about it 

Thanks for your reply I had pictures of the “regular “ model with that od07

845F018D-F9AE-4B8B-818E-899456B23995.jpeg

4E2CCEB7-9A8C-43BC-9D65-822895C53A20.jpeg