Uncommon silver bullion post-1922 US Naval observer wings

rathbonemuseum.com

rathbonemuseum.com

This is new to me. Have not seen any of these before. A classic example of late 1920s early 1930s pattern with the high "neck" on the anchor, the long chain at the bottom and lack of stars in the top of the shield. But embroidered in silver bullion thread. This would seem to follow the time period of the 1922 regulations for Naval Observers. I have provided pictures of the badge and also some other similar period Naval Aviator bullion badges for comparison. Looking through a loupe, there is no evidence of any gilt coloring. The thread is entirely silver and only shows some slight discoloration from oxidation on the front high points.

Have you also encountered these bullion silver naval observer wings?

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

@rathbonemuseum.comTod,

Phenomenal badge!  Looking at the construction techniques and bullion types I am led to theorize that the badge originates earlier in the span (i.e. 1920s and early in that decade--at that!).

It also appears to be substantially over-size which also argues for earlier.

A just wonderful 1st type Naval Aviation Observer wing.  Likely worn by a high ranking NAO--if only it could talk!

Chris

rathbonemuseum.com
2 hours ago, cwnorma said:

@rathbonemuseum.comTod,

Phenomenal badge!  Looking at the construction techniques and bullion types I am led to theorize that the badge originates earlier in the span (i.e. 1920s and early in that decade--at that!).

It also appears to be substantially over-size which also argues for earlier.

A just wonderful 1st type Naval Aviation Observer wing.  Likely worn by a high ranking NAO--if only it could talk!

Chris

It is 3.25 inches so yes, oversized @cwnorma

• 2 weeks later...