New AAF officers uniform sewing buttons

Caleb_747

Indeed. I'm sure you are excited but the jacket isn't really increased in value by replacing a button immediately. I would be more concerned with the authenticity of the combination of insignia/patches/rating.

The wings being sterling is not an indication of authenticity. Some graduation wings were not even marked "sterling". There were many makers of wings with various distinctive details front and back, makers marks, etc. That's why I'd like to see detailed pics. They are an area of collecting in and of themselves. There are also many garage castings of wings and restrikes of old wings that are not original to WWII. One way to add trust to the seller is to find a desirable make of wings on a jacket. Many replace pricier wings with standard graduation wings or even wings made after the war. Some even add them to a found jacket. Many "put together" jackets out there. This one, as mentioned, has that appearance and is likely why you got it for cheap.

6 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Caleb,

You should move the bottom button up to where the other one is missing. Officer's blouses had three gold buttons for closing the jacket and one brown or green plastic button that was hidden by the belt.

I'll be happy to send you a plain button for your blouse. You don't need another eagle button.

PM me with your address.

Allan

Could u do like a eBay thing? Not very comfortable putting my address out on other websites 

eaglerunner88
1 hour ago, Caleb_747 said:

Could u do like a eBay thing? Not very comfortable putting my address out on other websites 

I would trust this site more than eBay lol Besides, you can just private message him your address.

9 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Indeed. I'm sure you are excited but the jacket isn't really increased in value by replacing a button immediately. I would be more concerned with the authenticity of the combination of insignia/patches/rating.

The wings being sterling is not an indication of authenticity. Some graduation wings were not even marked "sterling". There were many makers of wings with various distinctive details front and back, makers marks, etc. That's why I'd like to see detailed pics. They are an area of collecting in and of themselves. There are also many garage castings of wings and restrikes of old wings that are not original to WWII. One way to add trust to the seller is to find a desirable make of wings on a jacket. Many replace pricier wings with standard graduation wings or even wings made after the war. Some even add them to a found jacket. Many "put together" jackets out there. This one, as mentioned, has that appearance and is likely why you got it for cheap.

4BC1E569-0F2A-45D3-BAF0-A2E69A3F3598.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Nack said:

Interestingly, this jacket evidently had 4 gold buttons, until the seller accidentally pulled one off.  https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/the-militaria-e-stand/u-s-british-militaria-table/13469505-us-air-force-jacket-and-crusher

Maybe check the pockets.

It’s came with buttons, tons of em

29 minutes ago, Nack said:

Interestingly, this jacket evidently had 4 gold buttons, until the seller accidentally pulled one off.  https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/the-militaria-e-stand/u-s-british-militaria-table/13469505-us-air-force-jacket-and-crusher

Maybe check the pockets.

I don’t have an account on there can you just show me a pic

1 hour ago, Nack said:

Maybe check the pockets.

So what you’re saying is, my jacket is all gold buttons?

No. It shouldn't have 4 gold buttons. Your jacket likely did have 4 when shown on another forum. Incorrect, so it was likely removed.

Look at 268th's pics.

image.png.0acf754e0f85d4b7476b842428722aa9.png

So there was a crusher that went with this before? Unfortunately, sounding more and more messed with by the minute.

53 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

No. It shouldn't have 4 gold buttons. Your jacket likely did have 4 when shown on another forum. Incorrect, so it was likely removed.

Look at 268th's pics.

So there was a crusher that went with this before? Unfortunately, sounding more and more messed with by the minute.

Actually, ROBB said he got the crusher separately.  

Caleb -

I doubt the jacket left the factory with 4 gold buttons.  You can sew one of the gold ones back on or get a plastic button for the 4th spot.

I would get Stanton's book on WWII uniforms and the Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens books by Mcguire (and also his book Gear Up!).  You can probably get them through your library if you don't want to buy them.  

The WAF is another good resource, so I would sign up there.

Also do a lot of reading here on the USMF.  There is lots of great, valuable information.  For example, look at threads about Meyer wings - I'd start there to research your wing.