WW2 Purple Heart w/Oak Leaf Custer

71Mach

I don’t post a whole lot but wanted to post a really nice engraved Purple Heart 

attributed to Ralph H. Blaylock  US Army. (7th Army / 6th Cav). He was wounded in action three times during the course of the war , first was in Germany 1944, then St Lo and Luxembourg 1945. He was also a POW for 42 days According to the seller. I’m going to try and do more research. Hope the forum enjoys. 

A2BF9B35-A7B1-4D7F-8843-6F72A1CF53E1.jpeg

B0BA19E3-CE56-4E37-94F2-CDBD43641668.jpeg

F7C4547C-DD68-40A8-A6AF-FEF65725F997.jpeg

FAD831BD-0A06-4991-A7A3-B9260DFB85B9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph Blaylock doesn't show up on the POW lists on NARA, so I would imagine that the POW portion of the story isn't accurate. I find the engraving rather interesting as it really looks like script engraving except that the engraving on this metal is significantly larger than typical script engraving. This leads me to believe that the engraving is privately done.

Allan

There's also a problem with the unit, the "6th Cavalry" which would be the 6th Cavalry Group was not in the 7th Army, but the 3rd Army, so it does not see action at St Lo, that was a 1st Army show, it first see's action in Brittany with some elemts on the drive into Central France.

Thanks for all the comments …I found the info  I received when I purchased the Purple Heart. Maybe this helps….

7D2B4A43-43D8-4135-8AFB-5C2D2012B2AF.jpeg

120B3556-6261-4BBA-B084-08E8F58BECEC.jpeg

On 1/21/2023 at 11:09 PM, Allan H. said:

Ralph Blaylock doesn't show up on the POW lists on NARA, so I would imagine that the POW portion of the story isn't accurate. I find the engraving rather interesting as it really looks like script engraving except that the engraving on this metal is significantly larger than typical script engraving. This leads me to believe that the engraving is privately done.

Allan

Is this possibly a set by the person faking PH medals that used original newspaper articles paired with medals he had engraved?