USMC ETool cover?

artu44

In these weeks there is a seller who obviously found a crate full of unissued entrenching tool covers cause one of them always appears on ebay. I took one just for curiosity and I found it's identical to the one posted by Craig in reference section

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

the same big US in blue ink (smelling fake), no maker markings and the distinctive USMC hook. I've thinked USMC contracted gears shouldn't have the big US but....What do you think?

post-67-1236350998.jpg

post-67-1236351006.jpg

pappy boyington

For me it is indeed a model of the usmc. The hook, the absence of manufacturers' marking prove it. For the US, I don't understand, I also have two similars items in my collection . I bought them to a french trader 5 or 6 years ago.

pappy b.

It's a good usmc WWII item, but in 1980's some belgians militaria dealer stamp usmc items with "US", because in this date US militaria have more value than usmc and no good documentation existed for collectors.

"US" is fake, but item is good.

LOLUSMC

In these weeks there is a seller who obviously found a crate full of unissued entrenching tool covers cause one of them always appears on ebay. I took one just for curiosity and I found it's identical to the one posted by Craig in reference section

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

the same big US in blue ink (smelling fake), no maker markings and the distinctive USMC hook. I've thinked USMC contracted gears shouldn't have the big US but....What do you think?

LOLUSMC is correct.The US markings were place on the items to inhance sales.Covers are late war and perfectly legit.I purchased one at the Kansas City military show a year ago on a shovel.Some have the marking a little higher some lower and some are even a little off center and tilted to one side.This leads me to believe all were hand stamped for the purpose of increasing the value.Some where on the forum there is another thread on this and maybe the mods can merge the two as your pic is a great refferance.

RON

Corpsmancollector

I picked one of those up too, mine had green edging rather than tan. Not a bad investment in my opinion, depot made USMC covers dont seem to come up too often and fetch a pretty penny. I didnt pay too much for mine.

I picked one of those up too, mine had green edging rather than tan. Not a bad investment in my opinion, depot made USMC covers dont seem to come up too often and fetch a pretty penny. I didnt pay too much for mine.

I see. me too didnt pay too much, but the problem is that its value as collector piece it's near zero with that blue ink fake stamp. I'd like to know the way to remove it, but pad ink is hard to delete.

I see. me too didnt pay too much, but the problem is that its value as collector piece it's near zero with that blue ink fake stamp. I'd like to know the way to remove it, but pad ink is hard to delete.

I used a product called goof-off.It did lighten the green color of the canvas a little.

RD

Greg Robinson

The "US" on mine was already faint and I removed most of what ink was left with a standard pencil erasure. At the time I didn't know who put the "US" stamp on....or why....but I figured it was bogus.

Greg