Is This Military Or Forest Service Issue?

otter42

Yes, government issued to Forest Service, BLM, Department of the Interior. Not as desirable as a military ruck however it is still sought after as vintage style pack on places like ebay and etsy. Works great as a day pack. 

spec6-spencer

It is often confused with the CISO backpack and offered as such. The CISO backpack has, for example, a map pocket on the back that the General Services Administration does not have. Still a bargain at $25 :)

Okay went back and bought the pack, but here's the weird twist: I found a Made In Korea tag!  So why the govt stamp inside and made in Korea tag?  

20221231_124622.jpg

spec6-spencer

There is no American manufacturer in the stamp.

Maybe the GSA had it made by a South Korean manufacturer? Not sure if that was how it was done in 1969?

Made in Korea as the lowest bid on the contract,  perhaps?  Since it was not military there may not have been a requirement for it to have actually be made in the USA.

• 6 months later...

Okay this is weird,  found another one of these same packs, same numbers. Made in Korea tag cut off. But it's really nicely camo'd! Love the pattern, reminds me of German camo. This was found local also.

20230801_150614.jpg

20230801_150631.jpg

20230801_150651.jpg

• 7 months later...
Recon3690

1st one looks like a Vietnam CIDG Rucksack (not CISO Rucksack)

spec6-spencer

That's right, now that I'm reading it again myself, it should actually say CIDG 🫣

Recon3690

What I was trying to say was there were both a CISO Rucksack and a CIDG Rucksack similar but different creatures

S. Korea manufacture is also plausible because it was Vietnamese issue not US, made in America did not apply regardless of who paid for them.