Folding an LPU-3

Obviousman

I wouldn't unpack one of these for just anyone...  The manual says use a piece of Type 1 nylon cord. Type 1 is about 2mm in diameter.  Any small but strong piece of cord will do. The definitive word being strong. Especially if the bladder hasn't been folded in a while, you really have to pull on the cord to get enough of the loop up through the grommets to get the pin through. This is a right-hand side, so it will be the same as what you are packing.

The bladder folds around the loop.

DSCN4329.JPG.886d67f278739d844cce368ef69a9dcf.JPG

Then run the packing cord through the loop. A piece of parachute shroud line is shown beside the packing cord for size comparison.

DSCN4330.JPG.e94cb71b8cc37f69460a519a308baec0.JPG

Thread the cord through the grommet in the back flap and pull the loop through the grommet.

DSCN4331.JPG.09d4790c18ba98250b4f0d2cde194f19.JPG

Put the cord through the grommet in the bottom flap and pull the loop through that grommet.

DSCN4332.JPG.742234dbd3e0acc06bebc28ae6d1c349.JPG.

Next the top flap, and finally the front flap. Here is where it starts getting tight. Getting the loop through that 4th grommet and enough of it sticking up to get the pin through can be a job! Make sure in all the tugging that you haven't let the pin slip back through the slot in the front flap far enough that you can't get to it.

DSCN4333.JPG.4424003411e8b2b0d8ef2d428807532e.JPG

Then PULL up on the cord while holding the cell down and start to insert the pin. (A 3rd hand is helpful at this point, but not necessary. If you do get somebody to help, be sure to tell them you are going to be grumpy and when you yell at them to: Just put the D?"# pin through the loop, it isn't directed at them personally or their inability to follow simple instructions...) It is really crowded in the loop with both the packing cord and closing pin. If you can get the pin through the loop with the cord through it, then pull the cord out in the direction the pin goes in. (If you pull the other direction, you can pull the pin back out with the cord. Very frustrating if you do that.)  If you still can't get the pin through, this is where the metal or wooden rod comes in. I have even used a small screwdriver a time or two. Put the rod through the loop and remove the packing cord and then push the rod out with the pin being careful to keep the nose of the pin firmly against the rod. DSCN4334.JPG.4a3b4417a974032be8e4743ab9a0f419.JPG

Hocus pocus, just like magic, it's done!

DSCN4328.JPG.24aabf5257c7aa4c4ad01e3d0eab0d40.JPG

This is the back of the cell. Just to the right of the snap fastener is the back of the loop.  I know you can't see depth in a photo, but by the angle of the snap you can kind of tell the back of the container is pulled well into the case. You can sometimes push here with a finger to help get the loop through the grommets far enough to get the pin in. This gives you an idea of how much of a pull you have to use to get the thing closed.

DSCN4335.JPG.f896ae6e825d6c37363f7fe9f1409446.JPG

Here are the labels to show the difference in the container part numbers for the right and left. On top, 1L - Left. Below, 1R - Right.

DSCN4336.JPG.b0d664a760e07d783e361103f4c7e119.JPG

That is OUTSTANDING! It was that loop that was messing me up - how can it be pulled so far? I couldn't see that, and so thought you were putting cord into the loop and using the loop to secure the cord the the base, and then the cord it what is pinned.

I'll need a second pair of hands: someone to hold the package down whilst I pull the cord and get the pin inserted.

Thanks to all for persevering with me; I just couldn't visualise it.

BTW - I haven't got a CO2 bottle; are there any more diagrammes of how the lanyard and pin should be attached / placed, and the relationship to the yellow tab? In some images, it seems the lanyard is attached to the tab.

Nice job with the step by step pics Bob,  way better to see it that try to type it out in my opinion.

Do LPU-3s have those yellow tabs?  Dont recall seeing that in my 2 or any of my 10s but its been a while.

25 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Nice job with the step by step pics Bob,  way better to see it that try to type it out in my opinion.

Seconded. Is there a sub-forum with instructions on how to do things? This would be a prime candidate for inclusion.

25 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Do LPU-3s have those yellow tabs?  Dont recall seeing that in my 2 or any of my 10s but its been a while.

You can see it in the first of Bob's images, and with an earlier one I posted of my LPU. I thought it stuck outside the container?

The piece of webbing/tab is a modification to the all 3 containers LPU-2,3, and 10/P's. It can be any color, yellow, sage, or OD. All it does is fill the bottom front opening where the activation lanyard goes into the pack. When you fold the bottom cover up, it extends straight up, and the front flap closes over it. In a lot of the LPU's there is a bit of a gap that exposed the bladder. This mod was a way to fill that gap and give the bladder a little more protection.

The webbing is not attached to the lanyard. You do not want the webbing to interfere with activating the LPU, so if you route it under the cord going to the inflation assembly, that allows the webbing to be in front of the bladder and the cord to come out of the pack to the outside of the flap and be more in line with the inflation assembly.

DSCN4339.JPG.b01b22843311f01bb5280dabbd895190.JPG

DSCN4338.JPG.42dd78d400b4d2d8ca6e6cf3ed2dc1e7.JPG

42 minutes ago, RWW said:

The piece of webbing/tab is a modification to the all 3 containers LPU-2,3, and 10/P's. It can be any color, yellow, sage, or OD. All it does is fill the bottom front opening where the activation lanyard goes into the pack. When you fold the bottom cover up, it extends straight up, and the front flap closes over it. In a lot of the LPU's there is a bit of a gap that exposed the bladder. This mod was a way to fill that gap and give the bladder a little more protection.

The webbing is not attached to the lanyard. You do not want the webbing to interfere with activating the LPU, so if you route it under the cord going to the inflation assembly, that allows the webbing to be in front of the bladder and the cord to come out of the pack to the outside of the flap and be more in line with the inflation assembly.

DSCN4339.JPG.b01b22843311f01bb5280dabbd895190.JPG

DSCN4338.JPG.42dd78d400b4d2d8ca6e6cf3ed2dc1e7.JPG

Was that a TCTO or some kind of MWO that had to be complied with or just something recommended/optional?   Next time I take out my box of legacy flotation gear Ill have to check my 10s that I know I have here.  1 was straight Army used another was USAF, then ANG and finally ARNG used for over 30 yrs.  Should see all the unit markings and former units crossed out on it.  Some were PR ANG, RI ANG, and was last with the IN ARNG.  Also have a set that had the harness removed for OV-1 vest use.  Ive only opened up that OV-1 set since I noticed the bladders were tied to the container incorrectly.

It is listed in the Configurations section of the TO as "Fabrication of Protective Flap to Container" "To keep life preserver material from protruding at the opening created at junction of bottom and front flaps, fabricate protective flap as follows:" Then it says to fabricate 1" X 3" protective flap from cotton, nylon, or rayon cloth and stitch it to the container with Size E nylon thread as shown in the figure. I don't think I have seen a set that doesn't have them. The TO does not say anything about them being optional.

• 2 weeks later...

You didn't run the pull lanyard through the slot in the front flap. Now you know why I said: Make sure in all the tugging that you haven't let the pin slip back through the slot in the front flap far enough that you can't get to it...

Well, if you got it closed 1 time, the 2nd time should be easier! You know what you are doing now!!!

2 hours ago, RWW said:

You didn't run the pull lanyard through the slot in the front flap. Now you know why I said: Make sure in all the tugging that you haven't let the pin slip back through the slot in the front flap far enough that you can't get to it...

Well, if you got it closed 1 time, the 2nd time should be easier! You know what you are doing now!!!

That be the one!

As you said, once the pin was in place it was relatively easy to push the pin out, replacing with a 2mm drill bit, threading the lanyard correctly, and then replacing the bit with the pin.

543738539_LPU-3Ppacked-correct.jpg.58e3adc5c587566ac23ecc1cb99b01fe.jpg

I would prefer not to have to pack one again!

Again, thanks for all the help and that visual guide was brilliant.

Like swag said in an earlier post, they get easier the more of them you pack. There is a steep learning curve, so now that you have the first one under your belt, the rest will be a breeze!

13 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

what will you be putting that LPU-3 on now that is packed?

I'll be sourcing a left unit and then it is meant to be part of a PCU-15 / SRU-21 setup.

25 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

I'll be sourcing a left unit and then it is meant to be part of a PCU-15 / SRU-21 setup.

Do you have a PCU-15 that has the LPU-3 zippers or having to find one of those?  Those seem to be harder to find than the regular later ones that have the LPU-9 attachments, but they are out there.    I  had bought one that actually had both LPU-3 and LPU-9 attachments.