Helmet you are unlikely to see again

mistertawny

mistertawny

I picked this up last year from the ex-chief of Fort Carson. It is prolly one of the most unique helmets I have ever seen. I will be posting pics of some of the other items I picked up from him, like challenge coins, badges and his presentation axe.

DSCN2817.jpg

mistertawny
Isn't there a guy reproducing these? :D

Dunno about that, I got this directly from the previous chief, so it's 100%. You can get a current helmet and shield made for about $900 or so. But this helmet dates from the early 1980's. I called the manufacturer to get the dating. Here's a couple of other items I got too:

chiefft.jpg

millenium.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I have a thing for police and fire badges so it is nice to see military related ones. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

mistertawny
I have a thing for police and fire badges so it is nice to see military related ones. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Which is the appropriate forum to post them in? I had a Norad millennium, Ft. Carson asst. chief and Air Force academy and more Ft. Carson related stuff.

craig_pickrall

In this case Uniforms would be the correct location for this item. Helmets is intended for combat helmets. I am moving this for you.

mistertawny
In this case Uniforms would be the correct location for this item. Helmets is intended for combat helmets. I am moving this for you.

I am sure Mike (the chief) would argue with you about combat helmets think.gif But I can see this is appropriate. Thanks!

mistertawny
Is Cairns the maker? With that shield and depending on the model you could rack up $900 easy.

Yep, it is a Cairns. It had the old style nomex hood though. Went to a chief in Indiana as his helmet. The previous one he lost in a fire. I couldn't believe that just being white made that much difference in price though.

It's really not being white it's being leather. A comparable Sam Houston model for a firefighter, which is black, are running in the $500 price range without a shield. That shield I would bet added at least 2-300 to the price.

mistertawny
It's really not being white it's being leather. A comparable Sam Houston model for a firefighter, which is black, are running in the $500 price range without a shield. That shield I would bet added at least 2-300 to the price.

The shield was actually older. It dated from the 50's or so. Sam Houston is the model with the regular shield mount and nomex hood.