Probable fake NS Meyer style Senior Glider Infantry badge on eBay

I just saw this on eBay (see link) and thought to myself that someone has gone ahead and butchered a nice NS Meyer glider infantry wing.  The NS Meyer Insignia Company in my opinion made the best looking glider infantry wing during WW2.  However when I looked at the back of this wing I noticed a tongue catch.  I have never seen an NS Meyer glider infantry wing with a tongue catch before.  Why would you replace the standard US made catch and most genuine examples (see photos) have the stop hinge where the pin will not open up all of the way.  The one on eBay lacks the stop hinge so this is probably a fake produced by a jeweler to get (steal) your hard earned money.  Buyer beware.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134364915354?hash=item1f48c5e69a:g:v~0AAOSwrYljmPPh&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPpadcDYDS1JJU%2BWH1xqX1kGfkZGaTir4JqI7Ua5%2B0lbV4Q70%2By6sRcRyggeYUP7DND53kEkximpkWMLUbG2VbTocUHcNt8zsXtT1nbOsoUAYedmF3PF%2FhFZz%2FIX8HWXoWsb7H7sJtY6Oj5HMPH%2B2%2BUdfu0sdrVjqds5uw39mPcd0INf1sAaTi7j18kbMRmglp8Nv8kuUJQezaIQo37edqs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_LhrJmiYQ

Senior Meyer Glider Trooper (1).jpg

Senior Meyer Glider Trooper (2).jpg

NS Meyer Variations (1).JPG

NS Meyer Variations (2).JPG

On 12/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, donaldnol said:

looks to be an early type with the c catch and a senior star attachment possibly not a meyer wing 

I checked my reference photos and found that this senior glider infantry wing has surfaced at least twice (Photo 1 thru 4) before.  They all look like NS Meyer pattern wings lacking the stop hinge, hallmarks and with tongue catches.  I have been collecting variations of US glider infantry wings for 40 plus years now and I have never come across a basic NS Meyer pattern wing with a tongue catch.   I have encountered a NS Meyer pattern wing (Photo 5 & 6) once lacking any hallmarks but with the correct stop hinge and catch.  I have seen a NS Meyer master glider infantry wing with the proper catch and stop hinge (Photo 7 & 8).  I could be wrong but I think these senior glider infantry wings are not genuine and were produced by someone who may have their hands on the original dies.

Senior Star on no shield NS Meyer Glider Wing UNK (6).jpg

Senior Star on no shield NS Meyer Glider Wing UNK (5).jpg

Senior Star on no shield NS Meyer Glider Wing UNK (3).jpg

Senior Star on no shield NS Meyer Glider Wing UNK (4).jpg

Meyer style Glider Inf Wings (2).jpg

Meyer style Glider Inf Wings (3).jpg

NS Meyer Raised Shield Master (3).jpg

NS Meyer Raised Shield Master (4).jpg

On 12/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, donaldnol said:

looks to be an early type with the c catch and a senior star attachment possibly not a meyer wing 

i dont like the looks of the metal on reverse side to much imperfections

Tonomachi, I don’t have your expertise or exposure to the wide variety of Glider Infantry badges you’ve examined over the years, but I absolutely agree the original NS Meyer pattern, with its more protruding and tapered CG-4A nose, is the most detailed and stylish Glider qualification badge of those I have handled!  

(It’s kind of refreshing to associate the  “NS Meyer” hallmark with something collectible and positive, rather than the usual ”re-struck” and “reproduced” references we’re all so accustomed to using!) 

And, thanks for sharing your insight and opinion on that ebay-listed Senior Glider Infantry badge.

• 4 months later...

having served with Airborne units I can only say I've never seen any set of glider wings with an attached STAR.   Maybe someone copied putting combat stars

on glider wings as was done on parachute wings.