General question: Trying to lighten up a darker shade of wool...a technique to use..?

everforward

I am just wondering what can be done to lighten a darker shade of 100% wool....a careful use of some bleach and water in a washing machine..?

Anybody tried anything like this..?  Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wool is protein fiber, and it has scales.  Washing or agitating will cause it to felt together, which is why it shrinks, but gets bulkier.  Bleach will dissolve the protein.

If you want to lighten wool, you can use any method you’d use for hair.  Wool is literally animal hair.  However, the undertones and highlights can affect the final look.  What I personally do (as a textile expert, couturiere and corsetiere for 20 years) is go to Sally Beauty, look for a hair dye (I like the brand Ion), and a 30 volume developer (One-n-Only’s Argan Oil developer is my favorite), and then use that.  The 30 volume will lift the original color to make lightening possible.  Lay it in your tub, and with gloved hands, apply it all over the piece, saturating it.  This may take a few tubes of dye (mix it all up at the same time).  When it’s ready to be rinsed, don’t agitate.  Use a handheld nozzle and rinse it flat first, then pick up and continue to rinse.  Don’t twist, wring, etc.  Lat flat to dry.

Really, if that sounds complicated, then I suggest just living with the color you’ve got.  You don’t want to start learning cool dying and lightening on something you can’t replace.  

• 4 weeks later...
everforward

Thanks for all of the replies on this thread, I will keep them in mind for future efforts. The coat in question (non-U.S.) has since been passed on as I found something in the meantime that didn’t need messing with.