M1943 shovel cut to fit m1910 cover?

Gomerpyle

My guess is that the tip got damaged and it was simply cut and rounded to make it workable again.  It wouldn't make much sense to fit it for the older cover when there was so much of the newer ones around plus the shovel would not have been able to fold over for convenience in the older M1918 cover.  Could have been done either in the war or after - no way of telling

CG

• 1 month later...

The USFS repurposed m1943 and m1951 entrenching tools to be used for fire fighting. These were, and still are, called Combi-Tools.  It appears the shovel was rounded for that exact purpose. The picture posted has characteristic rust and discoloration consistent with fire damage. Most of the e-tools were fitted with longer handles, some may have remained short. Your  pic fills a gap, for how the USFS modified these tools for their purpose. They ultimately switched to the m1951 with the folding spade and pick. 

18-20 years ago I converted a m1951 and added a long handle. Over the years I have had several older Park Rangers in the Smoky Mtns comment on how my tool looked just like the one they were issued. Below are several pics of 3 Combi-tools that I currently own.

Left to right: current Council Tool USFS/NFS combi-tool (rounded spade); Council Tool modified using a m1967 folding e-tool spade (pointed spade); m1951 entrenching tool fitted with a long handle.

I’m no expert, but after years of “show and tell” with Tennessee park Rangers, you pick up a few things. Post a few more pics of the whole shovel, if you really have a repurposed m1943 USFS shovel, that’s a cool and rare find. I suspect most of these were lost to forest fires and the rigors of fighting them.

Regards

Rod

552A61D4-86E7-4066-8281-AD91CED70DC3.jpeg

924E7C88-6B64-4ED3-B409-CFF047467133.jpeg

8398CFC0-55B0-4B2F-93B9-BA168AA4A5EC.jpeg

Thank you. I have an m43 e tool painted red. I assumed that this was done by the forest service. Was I correct? Thank you 

34 minutes ago, Gomerpyle said:

Thank you. I have an m43 e tool painted red. I assumed that this was done by the forest service. Was I correct? Thank you 

Please post pics of that shovel as well. It would be very interesting to see, and hear how you came across it.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:30 PM, Gomerpyle said:

Was this shovel cut down to fit in an m1910 cover? Was it done post war?

339D894F-6EAD-4329-960E-810D52A80419.jpeg

I believe there was a rounded shovel during WWII issued to the Marines.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:03 AM, rodteague said:

Please post pics of that shovel as well. It would be very interesting to see, and hear how you came across it.

I too have seen M51's and M43's painted red as well. Mostly at yard sales.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, Mikeym_us said:

Please provide any evidence of your “belief “. There is more than enough evidence to “believe” that that the USFS used both modified USGI and unmodified shovels for its firefighters. There is no evidence that a “rounded” shovel was issued to the US marines. I can use google too.

best Regards 

Rod

On 2/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, Mikeym_us said:

After reading my reply this morning, it seemed almost rude; certainly not intended that way. My sincerest apology.

Best Regards 

Rod