USS Vincennes (CA-44) Posthumous Purple Heart Medal

67Rally

It has been two years since this medal arrived and I have to say that I am still taken aback by how everything came together in its acquisition and what happened to it since I got it. In full disclosure, I do not collect purple heart medals but they always gave me a measure of pause in understanding the sacrifice they were recognizing for WIA and KIA troops. When the person who had this medal reached out to me via my site discussing the medal that he had and wanted to see it in my hands due to my connection with the ship(s) named for the city in Indiana, I was at first skeptical. I had no idea of knowing if the medal was authentic or if the person who owned the medal was who he said he was or if the medal was obtained through untoward means.

After spending several weeks vetting everything about the medal including researching the veteran, reaching out to colleagues to consult on the engraving, I made the arrangements to acquire the purple heart. After it arrived, the condition showed that it had clearly bounced around considerably for years. The brooch was missing and the ribbon was heavily worn and soiled. The engraving is clean but abrasions were quite prevalent,

The beauty of this forum lies within the true family nature and comradery that never ceases to impress me. When I shared this medal on the FB side of the USMF I was blown away when the offer came to provide me with a brooch with the drape and suspension. Another missing piece was the presentation box. After all that Gunner McKinney's medal had endured since WWII, it was time to give the medal its due protection and honor. Yet another forum member helped me source the correct presentation box. 

Mending a Damaged Heart: Gunner McKinney’s Posthumous Purple Heart Medal

20210215_140220 (1).jpg

20210215_140125.jpg

20210215_180234.jpg

20210403_095927.jpg

67Rally,  thanks for the humbling story and the care you did in restoring the PH. Splendid job done.

RIP Gunner McKinney.

Take care.

Regards

Herman 

22 minutes ago, Hermanus said:

67Rally,  thanks for the humbling story and the care you did in restoring the PH. Splendid job done.

RIP Gunner McKinney.

Take care.

Regards

Herman 

His medal was certainly worth the investment to restore. I am proud to be its current caretaker.

2 hours ago, LYONSJ9 said:

Great piece and story! How did you repair the finish?

I didn't touch the finish other than a some gentle cleaning with water and a drop of Dawn dish soap using cotton swabs and microfiber cloth to remove dirt and oils. No polishing.