Korean War POW grouping

RDUNE

I recently acquired this group in trade from the person who bought it at the veterans estate sale. When I found his obituary it had a photo of him wearing the mini medals and the Order of St. Barbara.

From the obituary: 

"John retired from the U.S. Army after 40 years of service.  He served in the Korean War, where he was a prisoner of war, and received the St. Barbara’s Medal, Purple Heart with three clusters, and the Combat Infantry Badge among his many medals.  John was a member of the East Berlin V.F.W., Disabled American Veterans, Hanover, American Legion, Gettysburg, AMVETS, POW, Military Order of The Cooties, National Association of Uniform Services, and the Korean War Veterans, #178, York".

There is also a YouTube video posted by his nephew that mentions reading in a book that he escaped from enemy captivity by killing two guards and then walking back to the US lines. He didn't know the book by name but I'm obviously going to try and find it. 

I'm still getting started with the research and will update this thread as I gather more information about his service. 

-Ryan 

20221207_183022~2.jpg

20221207_183217~2.jpg

20221207_183205~2.jpg

20221207_183031~2.jpg

20221207_183225~2.jpg

5ef65a64c6ce3 (1).jpg

Wow! 40 years of service! He must have seen it all. I wish I could sit down and talk to him about it. He must've had some amazing stories.

• 1 month later...
Buffalo Grunt

I knew John very well, as we were in the 17th Infantry Regiment Association together .. I have many pictures of John from Reunions, etc.

He was a great guy ...

• 2 weeks later...