Vesicant paint tin opened

phantomfixer

Dated 1942, and was like mud when opened. In fact the stamping on the lid was impressed on the surface of the paint.. disheartening

however, after a few quick stirs the mud liquified back to a paint consistency.. a few lumps but more stirring made it much better

thought you all might like to see the original shade of the paint…

37C70AAF-D394-4BCD-966B-703D1A3CD7A0.jpeg

A1EA8864-9568-4F69-AF62-AC681EB8A83F.jpeg

1033ACB4-9CB7-477E-A606-F23F6E828BD3.jpeg

They would have painted it on vehicles equipment uniforms helmets etc.

It changes color when exposed to chemical agents like nerve gas, blister agents.....etc etc.

You're welcome. The thing about that paint is, that once it changes color and you notice it, you've already been exposed.

What we were taught is to observe insects and small animals. If you see them twitching and flopping around

then you should mask up. Nerve agents will effect insects and birds etc before people. Nerve agents being odorless and colorless.

An insect will go before a human and a human will go before a horse. Depending on your size and the concentration of gas in the air.

But the paint is a good idea. Not sure if they still use it? We had tape that you would wrap around your arm and leg

that would serve the same purpose.

Cool Stuff Phantom. Still mixes up after all this time !

Thanks for showing these !

Very interesting!

Maybe you could have a sample scanned at a paintstore for the formula for the correct color? This would be very useful for certain vehicle restorations :)

I could do that.....a sample on a flat piece of steel....then where to take it... I know Lowes can scan it but the paint would be their interior/exterior  paint...good for field gear but not jeeps...

Maaco? or other body shop? 

29 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

I could do that.....a sample on a flat piece of steel....then where to take it... I know Lowes can scan it but the paint would be their interior/exterior  paint...good for field gear but not jeeps...

Maaco? or other body shop? 

Yes, or a NAPA parts store or similar, or a auto-body supply store that mixes paint and sells materials.

41 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

Will try NAPA thanks!!

Cool. I know the local one we have also sells automotive paint, not sure if they all do but its worth a try.

5 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Will try NAPA thanks!!

That would be great, with the formula restorers can have some mixed at their local paint shops :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the coolest stuff I have have seen in a long time.  Now I need to add that to my seach list.

See if it still works by painting something with it, let it dry, then spray some "Off" bug spray on the sample, It's a nerve agent.

Thanks so much for posting, this thread made my day.

Dan

• 1 month later...

The paint supplied by Lowes was a satin finish, when applied to the sample as a side by side comparison, the vesicant paint did its job and turned reddish, Lowes paint on the left, second coat and the vesicant still bled through…

78ADCBA6-BDEC-47C0-AEAA-4F93E9FABF63.jpeg

Is the new paint latex? Maybe try to find a place that will mix an enamel, but those places are dying out. A friend of mine suggested going to Benjamin Moore and talking to them, I think they have a white enamel to use as a base, but so many places are latex anymore. 

the Lowes paint was their valspar exterior line…

hopefully the Lowes scan will help others try and match the color for their needs…

Benjamin Moore might have more insight…