Cleaning dust from fabric?

Navy87Guy

I have a 1920’s-era Navy rating badge that belonged to my grand uncle. He enlisted as a Torpedoman in 1919 and went on to serve for 30 years. This is a third class badge so I’m guessing it was sometime in the 20’s.

It’s in generally good shape (a little fraying, which you expect from a 100-year old piece of cloth!), but it’s very dusty. It wasn’t stored in kind of any sealed container and it’s just got accumulated dust. It doesn’t come across in the photo, but in person it’s more gray than blue.

I wondered if there is an easy (and safe!) way to remove the dust…or if it’s better just to leave it “as is” and store it so it doesn’t get any dustier.

Thanks!!

0F01DF74-F1C6-4A46-87E8-FD630A3013A8.jpeg.77ab73505506248b7a915bc8bb3a58cc.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kadet said:

Use one of the roller lint brushes. It should pick the dust right up...

Thanks - I’ll give that a try. The dust looks pretty “settled” in the fabric (100 years is a long time) but maybe it will get some of it out. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Airborne-Hunter

Air compressor works wonders. Works well on patches. Watch your PSI...start low and "walk it in" as you bring the nozzle closer.

Gently vacuum the patch using your vacuum. Put the patch under a piece of window screen to keep it flat and from being sucked in to the vacuum.  You may consider covering the hose with cheese cloth to lighten the suction.

Air compressors can leave an oily residue on cloth so be careful if you go that route.

good luck

I have a small natural fiber brush I use to remove dust. Works great, have never needed to use aything else. Any of of the methods mentioned above sound like they would also work.

Airborne-Hunter

Here's before and after of white mold on wool. I don't care for vacuums because I can't watch what I am doing very well and the results are subpar to air compressor. I use a black and decker air station. It doesn't have any oil in it and I've used it to clean hundreds of patches. 

patch.jpg

patch 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a vacuum cleaner for healthy, solid textiles like wool and cotton. I open the valve for lesser suction, and place a folded swatch of cheesecloth over the mouth of the suction tube. The cheesecloth can be folded over in layers as needed in order to adjust or 'set' the amount of suction force. Test it with the hand, there should be feelable suction but not enough to pick up the fabric. Gentle and easy....