Pocket Watch Decorated With Spanish-American War Folk Art - Need Help Identifying

I obtained this watch from an auction site and am trying to identify the folk art. The flags in the center are Spanish-American War and the words under the flags are New York. However, I cannot make out the writing on the top. It is either a name (Gomez Slert?) or a slogan (Gomez Slept?). I have searched all of the rosters of the twelve regiments chosen for service in the Spanish-American War and I cannot find a last name that begins with "S" that matches the writing. Any help is appreciated.

Aaron

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

rathbonemuseum.com

Hi, with the Cuban and US flag crossed together, you might also consider this a patriotic watch celebrating Cuba's independence and the adoption of the flag officially in 1902. There was a strong Cuban independence community in NYC long before the Spanish-American war which might explain what it was made there. Also to consider that the name of the top is the retailer of the watch, Elgin being the manufacturer. Just some ideas for you. A really cool watch.

rathbonemuseum.com

Just looked and one of the large department stores in NYC at the time was Stern's or Stern Bros and one of their brands was Louis Stern. A possibility.

Great information. Thank you! I forgot to mention that the watch was made in 1879, so I figured it was owned by someone for a while before they decorated it. 

The first name is almost certainly Louis.  If the last name is indeed Stern (which I think it is, look at the way the r is styled) this could have been the firm capitalizing on the widespread patriotic marketing going on at the time. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This is not a retailer's mark. It is individually painted at probably a county fair or similar event. They were nicely done to personalize a pocket watch but was certainly not printed by a retail company. I agree with it being Louis as a first name. I think you'll have to keep searching for who it belonged to. The attached photo is a similarly painted dial of a watch I had. They are not uncommon. 

image.png

Thanks for your input. I agree this is individually painted. It would be cool if this actually belonged to Louis Stern who was one of the Stern Brothers that founded the store. 

Elgin was the Timex of its day and they are still commonly found today.

I think that a jewelry store owner would have a more expensive watch.