Indian War to SAW US Canteens

Hello,

I have collected a few US army canteens (1870 to 1900) for my belt and sack coat groupings. 

The first canteen is the standard pattern 1858 smooth side. This canteen is left over from the civil war. It has the brownish-gray cover. It has the 3 tin sling guides equidistant positioned around the body. It has the natural cotton twill shoulder sling. The iron cork stopper chain is still attached to one of the tin sling guides. Infantry regiment marked. 

Next, is a pattern 1874 canteen with an interesting modification. It does not have the brown cotton sling through the 3 tin guides with the small Chambers buckle (Type 1 1874 pattern) nor does it have the the cotton sling with the large Chambers buckle sewn it to the cover like the Type 3 1874 canteen. It has had the bottom tin sling guide removed, the lighter shade drab cover, and the cork stopper chain attached to a loop around the spout like the Type 3 1874 canteen. It also has a pattern 1885 leather strap and hook for attaching it to the saddle loop for mounted use.

Finally, I have included 3 pattern 1878 canteens. These have the double cover of petersham cloth and drab duck. All have the triangular iron wire loops attached to the upper tin sling guides (hold over from the pattern 1858 canteen). All of them have the stenciled black letter US. Two of them are unit marked. Two have the one inch leather sling. Due to the size of the stenciled US, likely circulated in the late 1880s to 1890s.

Comments, feedback, corrections are welcomed!

Eric

my canteens 1.jpg

my canteens.jpg

Hello from France.

Nice examples of very early canteen .

I collect also U.S militaria  1890 to 1916  ( and Vietnam war u.s era) . I have "1874" canteen , she as stamp on neck the manufacturer, 

is O . Johnsons and Co   8.6.85 ,  and FEB .4.1866   B. SCHERM on the stopper but , its though to readable correctly .

Have a nice day and...  merry christmas

Some of those CW made steel canteens lasted into the early 1900's. Some had the sling guides removed, some didn't. The arsenals began making them again in the mid or late 1880's if I recall right from my ordnance notes. By the 1880's canteens that were being refurbished had the 2 remaning sling guides removed generally but some slipped by with them intact. Due to the nature of their service, and probably for asthetics, the refurb would entail new canvas covers and wool if needed. In 1898 the US marking stencils for canteens and haversacks and much other gear were reconfigured  to a solid (continuous rather than unsplit) 'US' with the distinct rounded bottom letter 'U.'  Unused examples of the covers sometimes bear the small 'R.I.A.' at the bottom edge which tended to wear off once they went into use. Starting around 1903 the year dates were sometimes stenciled on as well. I've had a couple 1908 dated canteens that still had the two upper sling guides attached. The date span there is interesting, almost half a century. The army was sure thrifty in that era.