Cut Down Japanese Modified Klewang

stihl88

This was my grandfathers, MstrSgt Frank L. Few 1st Marine Division, 5th Regiment.

Not sure when he picked this up, i'm thinking while stationed on Guadalcanal or Peleliu but as i lack knowledge of the history of these i can't be too certain the Japanese used them at the Canal...

He was last survivor of the ill fated Goettge Patrol. I believe it was somewhat special to him as he carried it on his waist at times when back home (as seen in family photos), it may have been picked up in the days following the Goettge patrol perhaps when he returned to the area to the following day Aug 14th with fellow Marines, he may have found and taken it as a relic then. The story was not passed to me unfortunately.

He inscribed his surname on the blade near the handle.

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

At your word incredible! True veteran piece of iron you've got. Put some kind of oil on the blade to prevent further decay. Don't scrub it. Oil and rag. 

@manayunkman

Yes I've got Uniforms, Medals, Dog Tags, Patch's, Footlockers, Cameras, Photo's and lot's of other items. Here's a recent post on his helmet identification and also some pic's of his "Scout-Sniper" Stiletto here (pics attached below also)

He first joined the US Army at the age of 14 (just shy of 15) did 2 years service then enlisted with the Marines completing 19.4 years of Active service then a further 10 years FMCR after settling in Australia. He was a combat photographer and 1st saw action at Guadalcanal, Peleliu with the 1st Marines Intelligence Division and then Korea. I have over 500 negatives from Korea but unfortunately only a couple from Guadalcanal where he was on the lead boat during the 1st landings, he's fairly certain he was the 1st one ashore as he was instructed to film the landings. He shot over 8000' of B&W film during this campaign, most of which was lost in a plane crash at Henderson field.

Prior to coming to Australia he was stationed in Washington D.C as Staff Photographer with Leatherneck magazine (66 picture stories published) and then in a non-commissioned officer role at recruiting and many more official photographer roles (USMC birthday, sports events, training etc) which i have all the negatives of...

Here's a History Channel doco they did on my grandfather Frank Few in the the Goettge Patrol, the 1st 10min is where it's all at Shootout Guadalcanal - Goettge Patrol

1st Marines, 5th Regiment_Scout-Sniper Stiletto 1.jpg

1st Marines, 5th Regiment_Scout-Sniper Stiletto 2.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow, that patrol is legendary and one that has so much history within it that specific battle. Would like to see more if you can.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...