Normandy 2nd AD Armored Infantry Impression

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

Here are two pictures of my kit for the 41st Armored Infantry during Operation Cobra. I know it looks like I’m wearing a white T-Shirt but I swear that’s the sun reflection. 

For the first photo I have an M1 helmet with net and scrim, m37 shirt and wool trousers, gaiters, Type II Service Shoes, cartridge belt, suspenders, LW gas mask bag, WW1 first aid pouch, canteen, bayonet, entrenching tool, bandolier, and an M1.

For the second photo I have my M1 helmet with net and scrim, m37 shirt, US Army Frogskin HBTs, gaiters, Type II Service Shoes, cartridge belt, suspenders, LW gas mask bag, WW1 first aid pouch, canteen, bayonet, entrenching tool, binoculars, bandolier and a captured MP40 (yes that it is atypical but sometimes I have to loan out my M1, and 2nd AD guys had a tendency to pick up German weapons).

Added a couple of original photos in there for comparison. Thanks for looking!

777B6E5B-C039-4214-AC99-8BE493E68058.jpeg

3921A287-43AD-471F-989D-05E41E5FE83B.jpeg

24173452-9CAA-4DB3-B90E-DE3909B7E962.jpeg

AFC6DFF8-E056-4E82-800F-606A54517C2E.jpeg

1DEAC2B3-25EE-4F55-8DA6-AA95AC23B9DD.jpeg

F9CCC92F-AA8C-44EA-A87F-EA6040FDFEEC.jpeg

It is awesome. But like I am fond of mentioning. All of you re-enactors are entirely too clean.

A couple days in the field and your filthy.

During the war they may spend a month or months without getting clean.

Clean is something that Infantry soldiers are not. Digging in a hasty every time you stop for any length of time.

walking running through all sorts of mud dirt etc. Throwing yourself down on the ground...

You get filthy digging in too. sweat dirt etc etc.

You all are great but way too clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, A good friend of mine that I went to church with was in the 41st Armored Infantry, 2nd AD. Sadly, he has passed on. He saw some pretty rough stuff but he told me some great stories also.

MinorInHistory
2 hours ago, kwc271 said:

Very nice, A good friend of mine that I went to church with was in the 41st Armored Infantry, 2nd AD. Sadly, he has passed on. He saw some pretty rough stuff but he told me some great stories also.

Very interesting! It’s a good unit to reenact in my opinion because of the wide variety of tasks it was responsible for and the reasonable amount on soldiers.